Is this legal regarding Universal credit?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 23 October 2018 at 5:33PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Can a job centre request you leave a current job if doing say 20-25 hours a week when I also run my own self employed business from home? My self employed business is currently operating fairly slowly and I've had my hours reduced in my employed position so I've had a couple of bad months financially. When applying for Universal credit they mentioned that if I proceeded there could be a possibility that I would have to leave my current employer to take up a full time 40 hour a week position in something of their choosing even if I was not happy with what they were offering. Is this legal? I don't have an issue with looking for an additional part time job to make up an extra 10 or 15 hours but I cannot leave my current employer and also the fact that I work from home on a self employed basis.

With regards to a self employed meeting earlier within the Universal credit department, they have stated that I if I proceed I will have to show monthly earnings for both employed position and self employed position. How am I supposed to show earnings and even work on the business if I'm tied up to a 40hour a week job that they say I'm supposed to take if I want to apply? It just doesn't make sesne.

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    It's neither completely illegal nor misinformed. If you aren't earning enough to live on you have two choices - increase your income from what you are doing; or comply with benefit regulations which require you to seek and obtain employment that does bring in enough money. Benefits are not intended as personal investment plans - if you wish to rebuild your business you do that on your own time and money, not on the taxpayers time and money.

There's no "long service benefit" - I'm over 60 and I've never claimed any before until a year ago when I got universal free prescriptions and eye tests. If there's a prize of free money going, I think I deserve it more than you do!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 23 October 2018 at 5:07PM
    Options
    who said it was for me to invest in my business? The whole point of Universal credit is to declare your employed earnings and self employed earnings so If i have a reasonable month I don't need universal credits. Universal credits is supposed to be a temporary help whether it be to support for housing, or to suppliment with limited work etc. I don't just work self employed I took on a further job to suppliment my income without the intention of ever having to seek benefits but unfortunately due to limited hours at the moment I find myself in this situation. It seems to be a case of take whatever we find or don't apply for universal credit. So your telling me everyone has to leave their current employment to take whatever the job centre feel is adequate because of a zero hour contract where hours change on a monthy basis. If thats the case then zero hour contracts should be banned but they aren't so thoesepeople onit like myself have no option! No wonder you need an eye test as you clearly don't read fella!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Daveym79 wrote: »
    who said it was for me to invest in my business? - because you want the state to support you whilst business picks up? I've clearly said I put what profit I make back into the business. If my self employed business was doing fantastic or I was doing more hours then I wouldn't be in a position to even seek universal credit. - so why not do more hours? I have the problem of them telling me I have to leave my current employed job to then be shafted into doing 40 hours a week where I'm unable to commit to working on my own business. - Why not? there's 168 hours in a week Its a case of take whatever we find or don't apply for universal credit yet there are thelikes of Uber cab drivers out there on universal credit andmany other part time workers. So your tellingme everyone has to leavetheir curent employment to take whatever the job centre feel is adequate. No wonder you need an eye test as you clearly don't read fella!

Not everyone. But your circumstances - yes
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Asking for help whilst your business struggles is literally asking them to invest in your business.

There is help for new businesses. Yours is not new.

You cannot CHOOSE to stay with low hours and claim benefits. You are saying your hours are low as they are 'limited' so clearly you did use to work more hours... but youre also saying you cant work more hours because of your business. It cant be both.

What you mean is you like your current job and you like your ebay business and dont want anything to change, but do want monetary help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    168 hours in a week :T
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    uhm, I don't understand the undertones of this clearly.

That's exactly right. If you want your business to grow and be successful, you have plenty of time to do it in.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options

Starting a business isn't easy. I wouldnt want to do it, but I know a few people with successful businesses and they spend far more than 40 hours working a week
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Asking for help whilst your business struggles is literally asking them to invest in your business.

There is help for new businesses. Yours is not new.

You cannot CHOOSE to stay with low hours and claim benefits. You are saying your hours are low as they are 'limited' so clearly you did use to work more hours... but youre also saying you cant work more hours because of your business. It cant be both.

What you mean is you like your current job and you like your ebay business and dont want anything to change, but do want monetary help.

thanks for your reply. Yes I did used to work more hours before I got my injury earlier in the year as I had a fixed site but I've had to return as a relief officer covering different sites on a part time basis.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 23 October 2018 at 5:23PM
    Options
    I don't have a problem with the job centre saying that I have to look for an additional say 10-15 hours a week elsewhere what I have a problem with is them saying that they will find something for me at 40 hours a week and I will have to leave my current position if I want to apply for universal credit. I am only having meetings and far from going through with universal credit as by the sounds of it seems a right pain. It's not the end of the world but I just wanted to know if they can force someone to leave a job that was all. I'll revise the original whole post as its too long winded
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They aren't saying you must leave your job, leaving you jobless, but that you must apply for full time hours and accept one when offered.

That aside your business is going to be subject to minimum income floor as it's not new.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure