Relapsing illness and Universal Credit

Options
I am periodically ill and unable to work at these times, but almost fully able to work the rest of the time. I already claim PIP. I am currently on Universal Credit, signed off but getting there and want to look for work. I want to work, but many jobs are not appropriate, or I'd lose them through illness. I think a zero hours contract would suit, but am I likely to be expected to do enough hours to stop my claim whilst well, leaving me having to reclaim with the 5 week gap. I'm only likely to be on minimum wage and that would leave me in dire straits.
I can't find anything that explains how UC works for someone like me. And my work coach uses the word "depends" more than any others.
I want to work, but having paid in 30 years to a system I'd like a little support when I'm not well and not lose risking my accommodation or ending up in debt. The helpful conclusion of the DWP.

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How long have you been off sick since being on UC?

If you have periods of being off sick then they are likely to refer you for a work capability assessment.

This may be a good thing depending on your relapsing illness and how often this affects you.

Does your claimant commitment take into account your relapsing illness?

How many hours are you expected to work?

Your claimant should take into consideration your relapsing illness. if it doesn't then you need to discuss with your work coach how it can be amended to do so. Have you explained the nature of your illness to your work coach?

It is difficult to comment further without your answering the above questions.

This might be a useful read:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition-quick-guide/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition

Notice that it isn't just about being unfit for work but also where your illness limits your ability to work.

What is your background? Any chance of going the self employed route?
  • susec3
    susec3 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I am actually currently trying to go down the self-employed route, but as I can't progress due to illness, I will be approaching my minimum income floor 12 months having worked very hard and a product to bring to market, but without a sustainable income. I lose all support from the DWP and will have to be self sufficient. I am offering B2B services, high value but not regular. I have been ill since the end of July. I'm not too bad at present but it varies. I don't see why the DWP couldn't offer me a little longer than 12 months, given I can provide medical support. But it seems they won't and I need to pay bills. I have a lot of skills.
    So I don't know, to most of your questions. I just know I have to abandon the long term option of being self sufficient because the stress is just too much - the deadline and loss of all benefits.
    I am ill (unable to work) for around 2 months of the year although this wasn't the case the last 2 years. This year it might well be around 6 months. I am able to work otherwise, but full time work could make things worse. I can work as well as the next person for long periods. To summarise full time isn't advised, but Ok sometimes. Episodes are in stretches of weeks to a few months, with usually 1 per year but twice one year in 3-4.
    I have explained ad nauseam to my job coach but get nothing other than wait and see type answers. My benefits don't cover my bills. I've seen the CAB about budgeting and nothing more is possible other than finding social housing. I am short £70pcm. I need to work, I want to work, but I don't want to take a job I might lose due to sickness.
  • Ineededaname
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your situation as it does sound very complicated.

In terms of your payments of UC, the claim could only close after you earn enough to receive zero payment from UC. If this happens you are able to reclaim to maintain your assessment for the following month - all your dates etc stay the same. If you went 6 months + of no UC then you are looking at a full new claim.

UC does support part time and agency work pretty well in this respect.

As pmlindyloo has said it may also be worth providing sick notes and trying for a health assessment. If you were found limited capability for work you have very infrequent contact with the job centre and would also receive a work allowance- a small amount of money you could earn each month before your earnings being taken into account for UC. This would obviously help financially but also could potentially prevent that claim closing situation.

Your commitment should be realistic for what you can achieve and if you don't believe this is the case then you can challenge it. You want to work and the Jobcentre should want to support that in a realistic fashion. If applying for full time, permanent jobs isn't realistic this shouldn't be your commitment. I suppose if you are able to do so at the moment they could say you need to, but that does seem very short sighted to me.

Sadly I don't think there is anything they can do in regards to the self employment. If you aren't able to make the business work in 12 months then yea.. I don't believe there is any allowance for illness.

To me it sounds like your best way forward is a part time / zero hour / temporary / agency work. Earn enough to not have to go into the Jobcentre and to improve your financial situation.

This would also leave you time to continue working on your self employment when you feel well enough as a potential long term goal. You don't need to abandon it, you just need another income at the moment.

I assume as the minimum income floor applies you have a self employment coach at the Jobcentre so it may be worth discussing all of this with them. If you cut the self employment down at the moment as you found another job would they remove you from that group where the minimum income floor applies?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure