Dog-friendly holiday - no car though

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for a dog friendly trip over the August Bank Holiday weekend?

We would be coming from London so ideally nowhere further than say approx. 3 hours away, as would be using public transport.

Was thinking maybe Norfolk / Margate / Dover ways maybe? Will do some Googling but just thought I'd ask if anyone had suggestions first.

TIA!

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are on Facebook have a look at Dog Friendly Accommodation.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having 'enjoyed' travelling yesterday, Bank Holiday Monday, on Southern and Southeastern trains, I would question the wisdom of anyone thinking of doing the same. Dogs were being trampled on, as were people, if we had been cattle and sheep we would have been given more space and incidentally, one of the places we visited was Dover. Goodness, it is a complete dump, the shops have closed down and apart from walking along the seafront, there is nothing there. There were three cruise ships in port and I saw bewildered passengers desperate for the bus back to the port. The sensible ones had gone to Canterbury or London.. I won't go again!
  • tizzle6560
    tizzle6560 Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    Having 'enjoyed' travelling yesterday, Bank Holiday Monday, on Southern and Southeastern trains, I would question the wisdom of anyone thinking of doing the same. Dogs were being trampled on, as were people

Oh dear that does not sound like fun. Think we have settles on Margate/Whistable areas as local friends have said they're both still nice and dog friendly.

Was aiming to leave on the Friday afternoon and return on the Monday morning.. Was it just packed or delays/cancellations also?? Luckily the dog is very small and can either sit on one of our laps or just held in arms.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It was absolutely packed, the police were called at one station which delayed the train but delays did not seem to be the main issue. You may well be sensible staying in Whitstable which may not attract the same people that other resorts on the Kent coast appear to on Bank Holidays. Of course, the hot weather no doubt made things a thousand times worse and travelling home on Monday morning may be a much better idea that late afternoon when the world and his dog were travelling.
  • colcheslad
    colcheslad Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How about Cromer or Sheringham on the North Norfolk Coast? About 3hrs out of Liverpool Street on the train and shouldn't be too packed if you avoid rush hour.

Just make sure to check on the Greater Anglia website before you book anything, they often close the lines over the weekend!
  • tizzle6560
    tizzle6560 Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all suggestions. We settled on Whistable and Margate in the end as found a great dog friendly air bnb.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure