Reality Check...

Options

Comments

• milasavesmoney
    Options
    I had to look up tiger bread. It's not something I had ever heard of before. Sounds yummy. I'm glad it's not on our shelves here or I'd have a new vice. :D;)

You will remember the Maldives and that you looked good. :cool: You will not remember that you didn't overpay this month. :beer:

How is your mom?

Has DD returned from SF and if so how was her trip?

DS should be contributing to the grocery bill. Just saying...
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • reality_check
    Options
    Hey Mila, My mum is much better, thanks for asking. Tiger bread is dangerously addictive so maybe a good thing you can't get your hands on it. My daughter got back last night, straight to her bfs after a quick shower and change so not had a proper chance to hear all about it...I will soon enough I'm sure, but she loved it.

I'm not going to take any money from my DS as he is desperate to save up and get his own place. I have told him that he must be saving and give me the money to put aside for him as I certainly won't be paying for everything when he has a large disposable income to spend! So providing he is saving he is off the hook with the amount he's costing me in food! Making a massive bowl of soup and bulking his meals with potatoes, rice, bread and butter etc seems to be helping.

Do you have any weekend plans? I don't have any, going to try not spend a penny.............

xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    Oh good that DS has a plan!

Nothing planned here but date night tomorrow....dinner and a movie with my hunky DH. :D
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • roomontheend
    Options
    Pleased to hear your Mum is feeling better. I managed to get my two tyres done which I had budgeted £150 but manage to get them for £90. They aren't as good as the Michelin posh ones but still safe. He said they would only last half the time but hopeful I will be almost debt free by the time I need new ones. We are spending the weekend doing work on the house and chopping wood for the winter. We have central heating but we try to use the open fire on its own as the weather starts to change and both when the weathers bad. This help keep the fuel bill down and you can't beat a real fire.
    Total debt Feb 2012 = £54354.11 😳
    😁Debt Free and you can do it too
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Hi there reality_check :hello:

Not sure if you have wafted away to the Maldives yet but thought I would pop in. Have read your diary and really enjoyed it. Have subscribed.

Though you are quite a bit younger than me quite a few things about your life resonated with me. You've done fabulously in reducing your debt and still enjoying life's little luxuries. It's great that you've had your lightbulb moment and started while you are young enough to kick it into the ether and plan and enjoy your future.

Also pleased to read that your mum is doing well and being pampered!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 October 2016 at 7:41PM
    Options
    I'm back! Had a lovely relaxing holiday and didn't really spend a penny. It was beautiful, my tan was topped up and I ate far too much lovely food and most def drank far too much than the recomended daily limit!! We were all inclussive so all food and drinks included, airport lounge with a free bar, free drinks on the flight and all I realy spent was money tipping the hotel staff. That's the good news.

Good news but really should be bad news...I have spent the money that I never spend on holiday plus my monthly 'pocket money' plus my £200 Christmas fund has been spent!! so £700 gone just like that. I went to Scotland to see my marine, had such a good time, we stayed over 2 nights at Gleneagles, if you've never been try and go at some point, it is just bliss and absolute luxuary. The spa and restuarant were amazing. Also stayed a night in Edinburgh as we had a wedding, Scottish people do know how to throw a party!!

More bad money knews...I spent £290 in the White Company. I got such a beaitful throw for my bed and 2 cushions, some of the Winter oils that you put in an oil burner and I bought myself a cashmere cosy jumper in the sale. I then didn't stop there....found lovely Ralph Lauren bedding in TKMAXX for £80 should have been £270, £80 is the going rate for decent bedding so £270 would just be for the name as it isn't exceptonal but it is great quality and good value for money. I also then spent £25 said should have been £70 on 800 thread count bed sheets....I feel like I'm lying on silk!! I bought 4, but the boy serving me was young and new, the shop was busy and I (not delibertly) ended up distracting him by going on about the price of a Christmas decoration, he only scanned 1...I never pointed out my mistake so probably going to the bad fire!! I only realised walking away the total didn't add up......would you all have went back and paid up?!

I have been to the shops today, fresh fruit and veg bought, plenty meat to be eaten and rice, pasta etc so in the next 2 weeks all I should need is bread, milk, something for sandwiches and tins of tomatos as forgot them today and maybe some more fruit...I need to refocus!! I bought a sack of potatoes from Farmfoods for £2.99 and massive sack of onions for £1.50!! Need to find plenty onion and potato recipes....

My sister has borrowed £300, this is from the pay my Dad back fund, told her I need it back by the end of December...she said she will before end of November, but I won't hold my breath, we'll see.

The real bad news is my mum was back in hospital, she got out yesterday and is feeling much better. She went in with the same pains, but turned out she was fine and all clear, kept her in for a few days for observation and she picked up bloody MRSA!!! But good news is she's out and feeling better.

Nothing much else to update on, but I am back with my money saving head on. I even switched my gas the other day, still with British Gas but no cancelation fee as was to another tarrif, is £1 a month cheaper but locked in for a longer period which Martin Lewis recommended as prices have been increasing and I get £15.00 cash back!

Hope you're all well xx
  • reality_check
    Options
    Thanks for reading Seasidegal, when you're finished with Lady Luck, point her in the direction of Liverpool please!!
  • reality_check
    Options
    p.s Since I am owning up about my out of control spends I also treated myself to perfume....as if I deserve a treat or need perfume!! 10% in Boots but was still £86 on Flowerbomb. I nearly also bought another one, being either Alien, Estee Lauder Muse and Armani Si intense but in amongst my deliberation thankfully my brain had a slight thought back to my debt and decided on only one!!
  • reality_check
    Options
    Had a quick look on my online banking and providing I don't spend another penny, literally...I have about £1.06 until the 15th in order to not go over budget, but with food and a full tank of petrol it is possible.

So in the end I have had a right good old summer when I probably shouldn’t have, but life is for living, to some extent. The £700 I’ve spent could have went to my debt but I have made some memories along the way so I can forgive myself. I do believe that experiences are greater than processions so doesn’t really cover my expensive bedding or perfume or a jumper…but you can’t win them all!! Not making excuses for my spending (well I sort of am…) but I won’t be beating myself up about it. Onwards and upwards!! xx
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    You are entitled to a treat once in a while so enjoy it :) x
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport