Best way to maximise interest on £8k Savings

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm going around in circles as to the best way to invest my savings.

Although its not mega money, I have around £8k and adding £500 a month, this is currently in a Natwest savings builder which pays 1.5% AER on the first £5k and 1% up to £10k.

Although i don't need access to it immediately, i may need it in the next 12 months, so don't want to lock it away.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to maximise interest?

Thanks

Jonny

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's an archived MSE page that should give you some ideas. DOn't expect to get rich. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-loophole
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have 6 DDs to use, a couple of Tesco current accounts will give you 3% on £6000.

If you have never had a Nationwide Flexdirect, you can get 5% on £2500 for a year -there is also the Flex monthly saver.

You can cycle round the monthly inputs by SO or FP.
  • Lowermax
    Lowermax Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great, thanks a lot for the advice guys!
  • Lowermax
    Lowermax Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2018 at 9:45PM
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    If you have 6 DDs to use, a couple of Tesco current accounts will give you 3% on £6000.

If you have never had a Nationwide Flexdirect, you can get 5% on £2500 for a year -there is also the Flex monthly saver.

You can cycle round the monthly inputs by SO or FP.

I have checked out the Nationwide Flex Account, do you know if i would be able to transfer £1,000 in on pay day, then transfer it straight back out?

Also, could there be any negative impact if i opened lots of current accounts?
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lowermax wrote: »
    I have checked out the Nationwide Flex Account, do you know if i would be able to transfer £1,000 in on pay day, then transfer it straight back out?
    Yes, you can set-up standing orders for the money to go in and to come back out again on the same day. Although I transfer back out manually online to make sure the money has arrived on the right day.
    Also, could there be any negative impact if i opened lots of current accounts?
    I think the only problem could be a lot of credit searches against you in a short space of time, which may delay your application even if you have a good credit record.
  • thenewcomer
    Options
    i will open a current account a month. dont overdo it. current accounts are not savings accounts, so the credit checks are not as soft
    Aim to retire by 45.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport