What to do when someone dies - new guide feedback

Options

Comments

• wwl
    wwl Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    Send by recorded delivery, so if you do end up with debt collectors etc. chasing, you have proof that you've notified them so you won't be liable for any collection costs.
  • iosullivan
    Options
    Is anyone able to confirm the following for me?

My father In law passed away on Friday 27th November and was only a week into his new job. While on his lunch break he passed away (not on site) Now he was only a week in to his new job but yet to sign his contract but on the company's pay roll. Based on contact not being signed, his he entitled to any death in benefit i.e. most company's pay out 2 3 4 times annual salary?
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    iosullivan wrote: »
    Is anyone able to confirm the following for me?

My father In law passed away on Friday 27th November and was only a week into his new job. While on his lunch break he passed away (not on site) Now he was only a week in to his new job but yet to sign his contract but on the company's pay roll. Based on contact not being signed, his he entitled to any death in benefit i.e. most company's pay out 2 3 4 times annual salary?
    Impossible to say without knowing the company policy. Even though he had not signed he would still have a contract of employment. You need to ask the company.
  • matheather
    Options
    I lost my husband 15 months ago this was very sudden we was married for over 31yrs. My husband and I own our property though property wasn't in my name, we own the property out right it's all paid we was due to make wills but unfortunately he passed away suddenly. I have been for advice through three different solicitors to see how I go about getting my name put on the deeds. I have also been in touch with the bank where the deeds are kept and there will not tell me anything regarding I have been told that I have to pay up over £2000 just to get my name changed. Can anybody help me or advise me what to do because I thought you automatically inherited these things after loosing your husband/wife
  • Jason8409
    Options
    Thank you for providing such helpful information. However, would it be possible to add a really basic guide to property sales for children who inherit parents' property when a surviving parent dies? I think this must be the most common way most adults inherit property. Ie literally - at what stage are you allowed to start clearing and selling if you and your siblings inherit? I know the responsibility of an empty house weighed very heavily on my family members following a recent bereavement. Most on line advice focuses on inheritance tax but generally solicitors will deal with that side of things - the nuts and bolts of house clearing and property sales fall mainly to family members.
    Thank you.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    An MSE user sent me this link which might be useful here. It has other sections for closing various things. http://www.clicsargent.org.uk/content/closing-email-accounts

Just as an 'aside' - perhaps posters could consider putting their questions on how to deal with specific issues as individual threads on the forum, so questions aren't buried in here. Which would perhaps result in more detailed answers & those that are answered are getting lost in subsequent unrelated posts.

Just seems a more effective way of getting the help requested.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • Former_MSE_Megan_F
    Options
    Hi Jason,

I'll look into this and see how we might be able to add it to the site.

Thank you for your feedback, it's always appreciated.

MSE Megan
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
  • steve6375
    Options
    If your spouse dies and you had a joint bank account which is in both your names, I would advise that you do not change the bank account to just your name for at least a year or until you are sure that all other accounts/shares/holdings/assets have been cashed in or converted to just your name.
    The reason for this is that if you receive a cheque (e.g. for share dividend/bonus/closing account, etc.) and it is made payable to 'Mr and Mrs X', then your bank will not accept it unless your bank account is also in the name of 'Mr and Mrs X'! I found this out the hard way after changing the account name to just my name!
    After much frustration with the bank (even though I had probate and all certificates, etc.), I had to go to a 'Cash converter\pawn shop' and cash the cheque there for a 10% fee.
    ss
  • FiadhFiadh
    Options
    Just to add to the information in this incredibly useful guide - note that some companion animal charities provide a service through which you can register your pets so that they can be contacted to take them in for rehoming in event of your death. We have our cats registered with the Cats Protection 'Cats Guardians' service. There may be similar for other types of pets.

In addition, I urge everyone to include provision for their pets in their wills - we specify who to contact to take on ownership of our hens (having got their agreement before including them of course), and include an instruction to contact Cats Protection to ensure our cats are cared for according to the agreement with have with them. The benefit for the charity is that it also prompted us to include a financial dedication in our wills in recognition of the service they'll be providing.
  • Foxy_Steph
    Options
    What a great idea. I struggled with Mum's probate and probably paid over the odds. Please add my motoring club to your list for women who struggle with their motoring/cars/driving after a husband's death. We're called FOXY Lady Drivers Club and we provide support services, run on a not for profit basis. Lots of single ladies helping each other. Hope we can help others.
    Steph Savill aka FOXY Steph
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure