New online business - need mentor?

Options

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A good web designer will sort all of that out for you 1, 2, and 4.
    This will include the background software that controls stock levels etc.
    That is so that you can have an item for sale on your website with e.g. 5 items.
    Then when you sell one it will reduce to 4, etc. until it is sold out.
    This software costs money on top of normal website costs.

For the photographs it will depend on what you are selling but yes, a photographer that deals with photographing items rather than landscapes etc. will be the best option. They will have the right set up with lighting etc.
  • brownbabygirl
    brownbabygirl Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    Options
    Do your drivers / motor riders have online tracking facilities?

Your not in a EU country but you will be selling to the UK/US buyers and using your own drivers/ deliveries?

Anyone else as puzzled as me?

It is a gift service for loved ones back home so those who order will not be the recipients.

I will have to check on the online tracking facilities of the drivers. I doubt it though!
    QUIDCO £2827 paid out since October 2007:D
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is a gift service for loved ones back home so those who order will not be the recipients.

I will have to check on the online tracking facilities of the drivers. I doubt it though!

Without tracking any payment method that buyers are likely to want to use will not be safe for you. PayPal for instance will need tracking to the address given on the PayPal invoice if buyer claims item was not received. Not only is tracking needed it must be viewable online in a simple format .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So its some form of gift service. Im in the UK and i buy the gift for myself.. How are you going to track it and prove to paypal or whatever payment service you use that i received it?

Or as soolin put, i buy the gift and say ship to a friend in the USA. I claim a refund because you failed to deliver. You say its tracked to (USA), I escalate my claim because thats not me or my address.

Paypal will want to see shipping to my registered address.

Credit cards may fail completely if the delivery address does not match the card holders address.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    the questions you're asking are so basic, others have covered it already.

Nobody is going to steal your business idea of you spell out what it is you're planning on doing, and even if the idea needs to be kept protected, you can be a bit less vague about it.

If you can find a mentor you can confide in, what you want to do is test the viability of the business and ensure your business plan is workable. You're so green it seems, chances are this would just be a learning experience for you.
  • seatbeltnoob
    seatbeltnoob Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the profit margin & cost price of this gift item being sold?

Does it cost little to you, say printed material like photobook, printed tshirt etc. These items you're taking a risk for the occasional chargeback. But for other high cos/low margin items that are high risk (electronics, designer goods, gifts). I wouldn't risk it. Better deliver it to the person gifting, and have them send it to their loved ones.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have heard of expats ordering groceries from Tescos for delivery to their elderly parents living in the UK. It is probably a service that many stores provide.

The idea of having a site specifically for this service might be new, but I would worry that all the big stores would be able to provide the service at more competitive prices and users of the service would eventually find this out and just order directly through the stores. In other words the OP would need to provide something that would add value for customers compared with shopping directly.
  • brownbabygirl
    Options
    the questions you're asking are so basic, others have covered it already.

Nobody is going to steal your business idea of you spell out what it is you're planning on doing, and even if the idea needs to be kept protected, you can be a bit less vague about it.

If you can find a mentor you can confide in, what you want to do is test the viability of the business and ensure your business plan is workable. You're so green it seems, chances are this would just be a learning experience for you.

:rotfl:I am not as green as I come across. And I don't think the plan is relevant to the specific questions I asked. I did not want advise really on how feasible the actual business i, that is why I left all that out. I know that it is. Where my confusion is were those specific questions I asked and some kind people have helped out. Now I know the potential pitfalls.

If it's a learning experience that is fine. I mainly intend to make the orders as they come in so I wont waste money on stock that won't be sold. Thanks so much for your input
  • brownbabygirl
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    I have heard of expats ordering groceries from Tescos for delivery to their elderly parents living in the UK. It is probably a service that many stores provide.

The idea of having a site specifically for this service might be new, but I would worry that all the big stores would be able to provide the service at more competitive prices and users of the service would eventually find this out and just order directly through the stores. In other words the OP would need to provide something that would add value for customers compared with shopping directly.

It is not a Tesco type shop I am setting up. It is gift bundles: romantic package, new mothers, new babies, boarding school packages. Nobody is offering this at the moment.
  • brownbabygirl
    Options
    What is the profit margin & cost price of this gift item being sold?

Does it cost little to you, say printed material like photobook, printed tshirt etc. These items you're taking a risk for the occasional chargeback. But for other high cos/low margin items that are high risk (electronics, designer goods, gifts). I wouldn't risk it. Better deliver it to the person gifting, and have them send it to their loved ones.

Low cost and high margin. What adds value to the products is the time taken to package them nicely. Customers can also write a note/card which will be personalised and included.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport