Wheel chair - public transport

Options
2»

Comments

• Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our buses face backwards.. and almost all the train spaces I use do. The ones that face sideways have a 'panel' over the window you reverse against.

Some mobility taxis with tie downs..(the ramp in the boot type) face forwards. The black cab style where the ramp goes in the side door can be really tricky to face backwards as no space to turn.

I don't feel safe staying in chair in cars..and thankfully with a bit of time and help can swap over.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think I've ever been on a bus that faces me forward, I've always faced backwards and had a board behind me.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cyclamen wrote: »
    Our buses face backwards.. and almost all the train spaces I use do. The ones that face sideways have a 'panel' over the window you reverse against.

I guess you are refering to public transport and double/single deckers, I work for a local authority with minibuses, they always face forwards.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    It must be a new finding, my employer has numerous wheelchair buses and none are faced backwards.

Nothing new. VC10s were designed with rearward facing seats for this reason..

When you think that whiplash is caused by your head snapping back (it can bend forward a lot more than backwards) then it makes sense that you face rearward and reduce the movement of the head back with a head restraint. This will automatically reduce the force and range of the 'snapback'. Being in the direction where the neck has got greater movement will reduce the incidence of whiplash type injury.
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I guess you are refering to public transport and double/single deckers, I work for a local authority with minibuses, they always face forwards.

Yes I was.

When our hospital ran a 'hopper bus' the wheelchair did indeed face forwards.

I can't find a wheelchair accessible coach company locally for holidays/day trips.

I prefer to face forwards for motion sickness
  • Bansky
    Bansky Posts: 237 Forumite
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    No, it's safer in all forms of transport where there is a risk of frontal collision.

I like your signature!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport