PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Scared of becoming a homeowner

Options
13»

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2018 at 2:11PM
    Options
    Where, oh where, is Crashy when you need him? He's been scared of buying for 22 years! Weigh in with your perspective Crashy!

To the OP: the alternative to 25 years of a mortgage is a lifetime of rent. Do the maths, the latter is a much bigger number and unlike a mortgage you can't fix it.

Errrm......do we know what sex Crashy is (referred to in your post as "him")? This could be an assumption about them. They may be either male or female - or, come to think of it, somewhere in between....
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    least no more waiting on Landlord to fix things, as your your own landlord and you can do what ever you want
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Techno_Mystic
    Techno_Mystic Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To the OP: the alternative to 25 years of a mortgage is a lifetime of rent. Do the maths, the latter is a much bigger number and unlike a mortgage you can't fix it.
    Or you spend a lifetime paying off a debt to buy something you can't take with you when you die. And you become a crashing bore as well, who spends all their life doing sums and keeping up with the Joneses, who never goes anywhere and never does anything interesting with their life.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Or you spend a lifetime paying off a debt to buy something you can't take with you when you die. And you become a crashing bore as well, who spends all their life doing sums and keeping up with the Joneses, who never goes anywhere and never does anything interesting with their life.

Well - you can fight hard to ensure your house doesnt take all your money (gawdknows you'll certainly have to for some time if you're single - unless you're well-paid):(

- but the reverse side of that coin is you know you're not nearly so likely to be winging it financially come retirement and/or having to postpone retirement as if you rent

- the other plus side of that coin is you're probably less tempted to "settle" for Mr/Mrs Second Best and better able to hold out for Mr/Miss Right (who may or may not show up ever - but at least you're free if they do). I've certainly heard of people getting married for the sake of getting a house - as they couldnt manage to get one any other way (ie on their own). Short-sighted - as that way lies divorce in mid-life (as one or both of you refuse to "settle" any longer).
  • CHlHlRO
    CHlHlRO Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yup. Been renting for over a decade, consumer debt meant we weren’t in a position to buy and it’s only due to my inheritance that we are now. I look around our tiny rented house at all the jobs that need doing but keep being put off—things like weeding the garden, sorting through the kitchen cupboards—and I panic that nothing will change when we move. My husband says he doesn’t have pride in his surroundings because they aren’t HIS, but he will when it all belongs to him. We will have a lot more space, so there will be less clutter in the way but I still worry about it becoming a pit because he doesn’t stay true to his word. I am also scared about boilers breaking, ovens breaking, and other things we didn’t have to pay for as tenants. We have the money saved and I will continue to add to that, but my anxiety is just running at such a high level!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure