British couple invited to an Indian Wedding. What to wear?

Options
Hi all

My mate (English guy) is getting married in June to his Fianc!. Her parents are Indian and they are paying for a ‘Lavish, traditional Indian Wedding’. It’s all pretty cool and laid back and there’s no dress code etc. However, we would like to make an effort and if possible wear something half western half Indian if that makes sense?
Any ideas guys? Please feel free to simply post links.

Comments

• jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We went to our neighbours children's weddings. Several days of partying at various locations, and the ceremony in the temple. We wore Western clothes, but make sure a dress is appropriate for sitting on the floor in (if necessary), plus we needed scarfs to cover our heads.
    It was all amazing, we were welcomed with open arms and had many people telling us what was happening or why. My children thought the best bit was the 'Bollywood style' dance off, when they said they would shake it up a bit by getting a white couple to dance, as we were the only white couple out of about 400 people that would be us! ����
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As jackomdj said wear something loose.
    How about a nice long dress that will give you room to sit down comfortably and dance at the same time
    Or a nice skirt with a jacket.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There were a couple of threads re the same thing. In fact, I think I started one lol. In the end I wore a long floral dress for day and another patterned one for evening. Many people will change clothes.

Enjoy!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2019 at 7:55PM
    Options
    I went to a friend's Sikh wedding a few years ago and wore salwar kameez (loose trousers and a long tunic-type top), which were perfect as we were invited to the temple too and the scarf and trousers meant that I was able to cover my head and sit comfortably! I think I bought my outfit from a company called Utsav, as I said it was a few years ago now but when I bought from them I had no issues at all. They do have some absolutely gorgeous clothes, and an 'indowestern' range if you want something a bit simpler, or that you could match with a jacket etc.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We've just come back from India and it's very much wedding season there so many of our hotels were hosting weddings. I noticed that the younger Indian women had westernised their dress so they were wearing long skirts with tops instead of wrapping the fabric round them. Most men except for the main characters (in brocade outfits) wore lounge suits.

I have been to a Hindu wedding in this country and wore what I'd wear to any other wedding.

What I'd suggest is that you wear a nice dress, long would be good and then perhaps drape a pashmina/floaty scarf over one shoulder. This could then double up if you need to cover your head. Your DH could wear a normal lounge suit but with a bright tie. Pink seemed very much in evidence at the weddings we saw often matched to a pink turban but I think that would be OTT.;)
  • miriamac
    miriamac Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    I went to a friend's Sikh wedding a few years ago and wore salwar kameez (loose trousers and a long tunic-type top), which were perfect as we were invited to the temple too and the scarf and trousers meant that I was able to cover my head and sit comfortably! I think I bought my outfit from a company called Utsav, as I said it was a few years ago now but when I bought from them I had no issues at all. They do have some absolutely gorgeous clothes, and an 'indowestern' range if you want something a bit simpler, or that you could match with a jacket etc.

That's almost exactly what I did more than a few years ago! Mine was a dressy 'trouser suit' from Debenhams, but it had a real Salwar Kameez feel (it was also amazingly comfortable and I wore it many times). I had a fake pashmina too, which doubled up as head covering.

I'm going to have a look at that website - thank you!
    What would Buzz do?

I used to be Snow White - but I drifted.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jackomdj wrote: »
    We went to our neighbours children's weddings. Several days of partying at various locations, and the ceremony in the temple. We wore Western clothes, but make sure a dress is appropriate for sitting on the floor in (if necessary), plus we needed scarfs to cover our heads.
    It was all amazing, we were welcomed with open arms and had many people telling us what was happening or why. My children thought the best bit was the 'Bollywood style' dance off, when they said they would shake it up a bit by getting a white couple to dance, as we were the only white couple out of about 400 people that would be us! ����

We had a very similar experience to the one you decribe

One of the best weddings we have ever attended
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    We went to something similar a few years ago - my husband's niece married a guy who's parents were Sikh, and they held a Sikh reception. There was a dress code - all the women to wear sari's. So off we went to Bombay Stores in Bradford, where we (6 English women) were given a lesson in how to put a sari on. Great fun. I don't remember having to cover my head at any point - but this was just a reception, not a wedding ceremony, and there was no religious aspect to it. All the men (including the father of the groom) wore standard lounge suits.

One thing to remember, whatever you wear, is to avoid red - that's the traditional colour that the bride wears.
    One of the most surreal moments of my life was doing the actions to 'YMCA' wearing a sari!
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Options
    I wore a sari to my friends hindu wedding.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Don't forget to take some hairclips to hold any headscarf in place. Mine kept sliding down - and you are in it for an awfully long time so you don't want to keep fidgeting with it!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport