PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    It was a mixture here, couldn't see any logic in it. No unsmoked bacon, not much selection with butter, only sugar was granulated (I was looking for demerara) the only frozen veg was peas. The fresh fruit and veg aisle seemed a bit bare as well but they had what I wanted. Nothing I can't live without but apart from the snow a few months ago I haven't seen the supermarket so empty in years.

I live in a holiday area but I've been here 20 years and I've never seen this before. Holidaymaker wise it doesn't seem any busier than usual but more British people this year, I've seen hardly any european reg cars. Not sure why as with the pound weaker I would have thought we would be an attractive proposition but maybe they are staying in places like London rather than a bucket and spade destination.

From what I can see - there are more British people - but I think we're getting more Germans/the occasional Dutch/etc here. What I think of as the more "outdoorsy" ones - I guess it's down to this is the sort of area one comes for a more "outdoorsy" sort of holiday - between the countryside/the beaches/more "active" sports type things/the walking round the Coast Path (rather them than me - I ain't brave enough for the Welsh section of the Coast Path:eek: - far too near the cliff edges for me).
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    Don't I know it Elona! when we were on our overseas job in Germany all the other folk working for the company spent their nice increased wages because the company was paying the rent and school fees and an overseas allowance on holidays, trips abroad, weekends away, new clothes, treats and lots of meals out and we saved ours, we had a trip back to the UK every half term because Nell was boarding and one holiday in the 3 years we were there when we drove to France for a fortnight. We were able to come home and pay off our mortgage buy a new car and have money in the bank most other people came back with memories (nothing wrong with that) and nothing to show for 3 years away. Did we ever get criticised for not living the high life, we were odd man out both with the Ex Pats in the company and our acquaintance here, you just can't win BUT we owned the house and they were all still paying off mortgages, makes you think!!!

I can totally relate to your experience. Me and my husband were just like you and yours. We lived within our means, saved and paid off our mortgage early enough to totally renovate our house well before retirement. We had a good life without spending a lot on what I class as unnecessary things. We were also the "odd" man out among our friends too. Paid off in the end because we are now extremely comfortable and do without nothing. People can't as they say have their cake and eat it.Only the independently wealthy have that luxury, the rest of us have to make choices.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My son pointed out to me that CO2 is used in a lot of packaging processes, not just in fizzy drinks.

No idea about the dairy products though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm going to simplify our meals and go back to how we ate in childhood, I don't remember masses of choice in the shops but I do remember simpler meals on the table and in school lunches. I think simplified meals will cost much less and feed us just as well. I remember smoked haddock on mashed potatoes with a poached egg on top served up with tinned peas, Lancashire Hot Pot, what was called a Cowboys Dinner just boiled potatoes with fried bacon and baked beans, sausage, mash and greens with gravy, bacon and eggs with toast, egg and chips, the odd bought pie with mash and peas and gravy, steak and kidney pudding (which I detested)but that I can make much more palatable by replacing the kidney with mushrooms, shepherds pie and veg, fish and chips with mushy peas, simple food but the component parts thereof more easily obtained. I think I'll implement this way of eating as soon after we've made the move as I can and re-train our taste buds to a different diet that doesn't rely on all sorts of exotics from across the globe and mostly comes from local sources.
  • wannalot
    wannalot Posts: 182 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,

I have been thinking about this thread a lot over the past few days. It chimes in a lot with my own thoughts. I am pretty shocked by how insecure Brexit has made me. Usually, I am much more accepting of and even confident of my ability to adapt to change, but I feel deeply resentful that this change is happening. 40 years of British diplomacy is being shredded and I have zero confidence in our politicians ability to lead us safely through. Indeed, for the first time ever, I feel tempted to vote for the SNP.

Anyway, apologies for all that political stuff! You lovely people have made me realise that I am much better channeling my insecurity into positive action to mitigate the effects of the oncoming chaos, so I am going to make some preparations. This weekend, I decided to do a Waitrose shop using a voucher sent to me for £22 off of a £110 shop. I would usually never use it because it is just far too much for me to spend, but I have decided to invest a bit of money over the next few months (probably £40 or so per month) to try to put me into a situation where I will not need to do any major shopping in March or April next year.

I would appreciate any advice on how best to prepare. At the moment, I am planning to buy tins and packets (beans, pulses, vegetables, tomatoes and spices) for the next few months because my freezer is already full. I want to eat to make a bit of space in my freezer, to let me store more practical items which can be turned into better meals.

I usually have quite a lot of meat in the freezer anyway, but by the beginning of next year, I want to have made space in my freezer to freeze some butter and cheese, two things which I use a lot, and which I think might be scarce (or at least dearer) for a while.

I also want to learn how to make bread. I Have wanted to be able to do this for a while, so there is no harm in making sure I can be self-sufficient in this regard by next year.

One thing I have decided not to store too much of is fish. If our trade with theEU breaks down for a while, then our fishing industry will have a lot of surplus, so hopefully that will still be available!

Part of me feels that everything will be fine, and that I will look back on these worries and feel a bit foolish, but I would rather be overprepared, rather than be caught out. Mainly, I just feel really sad that it has come to this. I think we have been hoodwinked into making ourselves poorer and Europe weaker. Who wins?
    2024 goals
    GC: Jan £160 (annual £1920)
    Savings: save £10K (or move house)
    Health: Lose 3 stone
    Mind: read at least 24 books
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 August 2018 at 1:31PM
    Options
    The past can't be changed, it's gone and fixed but the future can be whatever you want to make it if you stick to your action plan. If Brexit happens or even if it doesn't the future is going to be challenging for many reasons including the unpredictable actions or inactions of many political leaders we now have in power in many places across the globe. To be prepared for the things you can in a small way control in life puts us all in a better situation to weather whatever happens that's not in our power to alter. You can't possibly cover all the bases on that one but you can store food, get meds, clear debts, simplify life and do it now before any of the things above and many others happen. If there are problems in your local area, with some forward planning and a certain amount of luck you might be able to shut up shop, hunker down in your prepared home and ride things out and emerge unscathed after they're over. If you don't have need of any of your preps and nothing untoward happens well you've probably saved quite a lot of money by buying at todays prices because things only get more expensive, never less!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I tend to eat simply anyway......sticking as far as possible to a paleo diet for health reasons, although I do eat dairy which technically is not paleo. I could and should cut down on the amount of cheese I eat.....:rotfl:

I too,love the old British favourites, good filling grub. I also like a lot of the European peasant dishes, again same principles at work. Good hearty nutritious food. Italy, Spain, Greece and various eastern and Northern European cuisines have some fabulous peasant food which is cheap and nutritious. Chinese and Asian dishes tend to be light on meat too, with plenty of vegetarian options. Again good healthy, hearty nutritious food.

Living as I do in a cosmopolitan city and Bejng able to buy any manner of spices then I really don't think I will have any problems cooking good healthy interesting food. I shall make sure I stock up on fats, oils, spices and dried herbs. They have a long shelf life.

I hadn't given much thought to fish prices ......yes you are right, fish might actually come down in price. That would be nice.

I think a bit of money invested in food, household supplies and consumables now or the next few months is actually sound financial sense. Interest rates are pitiful so it makes more sense to put a bit of spare money into commodities that you will use rather than have it sat in the bank doing nothing.

Even if there aren't too many shortages I do feel sure that prices will rise.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MRs LW. I do like the idea of "hunkering down".

I do this a lot in winter. I usually do a bit of winter prepping anyway, making sure I have plenty of food and comfort meds etc. Then when the weather turns bad I just stay warm and cosy in my nest, reading, crafting, doing a bit of diy, pottering about, watching DVDs or precorded tv programmes.

The joys of retirement, not having to de ice the car at the crack of dawn and brave the elements..... bliss......:rotfl:

When I move I am going to designate one of my spare rooms as a personal home gym, so I won't even have to set foot out of the door to exercise .....:D.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 August 2018 at 2:40PM
    Options
    I'm going to simplify our meals and go back to how we ate in childhood, I don't remember masses of choice in the shops but I do remember simpler meals on the table and in school lunches. I think simplified meals will cost much less and feed us just as well. I remember smoked haddock on mashed potatoes with a poached egg on top served up with tinned peas, Lancashire Hot Pot, what was called a Cowboys Dinner just boiled potatoes with fried bacon and baked beans, sausage, mash and greens with gravy, bacon and eggs with toast, egg and chips, the odd bought pie with mash and peas and gravy, steak and kidney pudding (which I detested)but that I can make much more palatable by replacing the kidney with mushrooms, shepherds pie and veg, fish and chips with mushy peas, simple food but the component parts thereof more easily obtained. I think I'll implement this way of eating as soon after we've made the move as I can and re-train our taste buds to a different diet that doesn't rely on all sorts of exotics from across the globe and mostly comes from local sources.

I think Mr Ivyleaf would be blissfully happy with those meals (apart from the smoked fish!), as long as he could have a curry occasionally :D We had sausages and mash last night and really enjoyed it as it had been a while since I'd felt up to cooking.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options

I still eat like that :rotfl: The main difference is with haddock we always have parsley sauce and no egg. I do eat some pasta dishes but they are simple as well, lots of veg in a tomato sauce with some red pepper to heat it up.

I think I'll be OK with fish, I could at a push walk to where lots of fishermen unload their catch, five minute drive.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback