moving into a new build - how to I change suppliers

Options
Hi,

Moving into a new build in a couple of weeks. Gas is with British Gas, Electric with SSE. I want to transfer to first utility which do a cheap duel fuel contract. How do I transfer if I don't know the MRPN/MPAN numbers yet? I don't get the keys til next week.

This is my first flat so would appreciate any input and I have no clue haha.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Once you are in you contact the current suppliers and give them your details. You then contact your supplier of choice and start the switch rolling. You don't need your numbers.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The day you get the keys you must read your meters and arrange an account in your name with the existing suppliers giving them the meter readings - dont assume that they will be a zero just because it's a new build. Ideally take a photo and save it in a safe place

When you've done that you can initiate a transfer to your chosen supplier. You will have to pay the existing suppliers for the energy used between the day you moved in and when the new supplier takes over. You'll need to give meters readings to the new supplier on the day you transfer over.

Dont forget to register with the water company as well and give them a meter reading as well.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport