PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Frugal in retirement

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• plumduff55
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

It's a beautiful sunny morning here in a lovely village near Reading where I am visiting my eldest son and his girlfriend. They live on the very edge of the village and looking outside I feel as if I'm surrounded by fields. I live in an ex mining village back home but no views like this as I'm surrounded by houses.

It is now 4 weeks since I sold the car and I have no regrets at all mainly because I disliked driving so much. I have adjusted my life a bit to compensate for not having the car but this causes me no difficulty. Each Tuesday morning I go by bus to one of two nearby towns to stock up on perishables. One town has a large Asda near the bus stop while the other has an Iceland. I very rarely visited these shops before but I am now a convert.

I did have an awful journey last week when visiting youngest son and his family. This journey takes approximately 2 and a half hours and 3 buses each away. Three of the buses were late and it was a damp, freezing day. My feet felt like ice but totally my fault as I should have been more prepared and worn warmer socks. Lesson learned ;). I don't drive to this son's so having the car would not have changed the outcome as I would have still gone by bus.

Re the posts on NI contributions. When I retired in 2015 I was shocked to discover that although paying NI for 42 years I had not paid enough for the full state pension as I had been contracted out when in the NHS pension scheme. I had never heard and did not know anything about being contracted out. In April 2016 I became a self employed sole trader and started a little sewing business. I pay voluntary class 2 NI contributions of £12.35 each month.

The business is very slow mainly because I am totally NOT a business person. My charges are too low and I don't advertise or push myself enough. But I love sewing and making memory cushions and quilts from baby clothes. I also enjoy the chat and interactions with my customers. My annual takings are always under £1,000. In 2017 HMRC changed the rules to allow income up to £1,000 to be earned without the need to declare it to them. I think it's called the Trading Allowance. Twice I have phoned HMRC to check that it is ok for me to continue as a sole trader when my income is so low and both times they have confirmed that it is ok. I plan to keep my little business going till April 2021 ( unless the rules change) when my voluntary class 2 NI contributions will entitle me to the full state pension.

I'm having a very lazy time at my son's but doing lots of walking as they have a retired greyhound that can still walk for miles and miles xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning guys
    I’ve not checked in for a while so here I am.
    We’re just plodding along really so not much to tell.
    I gave up driving years ago Plumduff, I had never enjoyed it but it was a necessary evil when the kids were younger. OH on the other hand loves driving so we will be keeping a car until he’s no longer safe to drive.
    I had last week off work because I had days I had to use or lose so we just pottered and researched the improvements we plan to do on the flat. We have a builder coming to give us a quote this evening so we shall see if we can afford it or whether we will need to rethink it a bit.
    I hope everyone is ok after storm Freya. It was blowing an absolute gale here yesterday. Mother Nature is mean, lulling us into a false sense of security with a lovely week then springing that on us.
    Anyway better go
    Speak again soon
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys
    I hope everyone is keeping warm and well.
    It’s been blowing a gale, raining and horrible all week but today I’ve woken up to sunshine. It’s still chilly but I can live with that.
    We’ve got the family staying nearby who are going on the New Zealand adventure in 2021 so we are starting to plan a bit while they are here. It’s all part of the fun.
    I’m only in work today and tomorrow and then I’m off the rest if the week. Our head office is so sluggish about sorting these things out and announced that I still had days to use. I only work 4 days a week which means 2 half weeks to do before the end of the month. On the up side the weather is supposed to be ok this week.
    My cupboards are nicely fill to cover any problems with the dreaded B, or to help with any monetary blips. If necessary we can manage with just milk and fresh stuff for a few weeks so I can relocate my wages.
    OH is happy because he is now allowed to ride his motorcycle again. His shoulder is mending nicely which is a relief, you don’t heal as well as we did when we were younger.
    I solooking forward to spring now. I like the snuggling up in the warm but the novelty wears off after a while.
    Anyway better go
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills