Credit card fraud after paying for NCP car parking?!

Options
Apologies if this isn’t the right section. Within the last 24h I’ve experienced some fraudulent purchases on my credit card. The only place I’ve used it is to pay for some parking at the nec via their website. I do not have any spyware or viruses on my machine I believe that my information was either misused by someone that has access to the data who runs their website or that the site is compromised. Both my bank and the police are disinterested in doing anything about it. I can get the Money back but it’s not really the main issue?! Apparently identy theft and fraud are no longer a job for the police. I’m writing on here as there must be others this has happened to?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The fraud is against the bank. They won't tell you what actions they are taking.

Let them deal with it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Your card could have been cloned or skimmed at any time.

How do you “know” your machine is free of viruses and spyware?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A follows B, thus B caused A

Classic logical fallacy

Paying for something online, at least for a normal firm, the data is encrypted, employees cannot just open up a text file and see your card numbers
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can get the Money back but it’s not really the main issue?!
    Providing your card issuer will reimburse you then, as far as you're concerned, it's the only issue. The entity that's been defrauded here is the card issuer, not you.
  • SPOWER
    SPOWER Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have used NCP many many times. Never had anything like this happen. Glad you are getting a refund. Should I come on here and start a post about Damart (Damartex) as once years ago I had a problem with someone buying a laptop from BT.COM using my details. They could only have come from Damart. Stuff happens. You have been protected by the bank.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SPOWER wrote: »
    Have used NCP many many times.

I think you've misread NEC as NCP - I don't believe parking at the NEC is provided by NCP.
  • SPOWER
    SPOWER Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh sorry I meant NCP. I have never been to NEC.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    SPOWER wrote: »
    Oh sorry I meant NCP. I have never been to NEC.

Well, the OP's issue was at the NEC, so experiences of using NCP don't actually help that much. Although for what it's worth I've never had a problem with my card at either the NEC or any NCP.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I can get the Money back but it’s not really the main issue?! Apparently identy theft and fraud are no longer a job for the police. I’m writing on here as there must be others this has happened to?

The transactions were probably 'card not present' transactions, so it's probably the retailers/ merchants who are the fraud victims.

The bank is typically only liable for fraudulent 'Chip and Pin' transactions, or '3D secure' transactions (and maybe contactless transactions).

If 'Chip and Pin' or '3D secure' was used, the bank would probably be accusing you of being involved in the fraud (or of being grossly negligent) - so I'd guess it's the merchants who've been defrauded.
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I think you've misread NEC as NCP - I don't believe parking at the NEC is provided by NCP.
    The OP is confusing, the subject says NCP and the post says NEC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure