Best Balance Transfers Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Inspector_Sams
    Options
    Guys

How much have I messed up here.

After transferring my credit card balance into a Virgin CC with no interest payable for 16 months, I left well alone.

Only now have I spotted that I should have paid GBP 25 into my account by 15th august.

I was hoping to put some more in to take advantage but now it says balance transfers attract 0% to 27 August 2009 if they are done before November!

a) have I missed the chance of transferring at the 0% rate and

b) Have I now ruined the deal for the money I already transferred!

It looks like the 25 quid amounts to 10% of the fee I incurred, but I had no idea I was going to be due to pay anything! :(
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    edited 25 August 2009 at 11:22AM
    Options
    After transferring my credit card balance on to a Virgin CC with no interest payable for 16 months, I left well alone. Only now have I spotted that I should have paid £25 into my account by 15th August. Have I now ruined the deal for the money I already transferred?
    Virgin is underwritten by MBNA which, in common with most lenders, reserves the right to withdraw special rates if you breach Ts & Cs.

If I were you, I'd phone Virgin Card Services on 01244 673700 (to avoid the perishing 0870 numbers) and explain your oversight. From feedback here, Virgin will normally reinstate your special rate, provided that it's a "first offence" and you ask nicely.

Might be an idea to set up a direct debit to pay the minimum amount. That way, it's
    Virgin's
    responsibility, not yours, to make sure the monthly repayments get there at the right time ;)
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
  • CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jj707070 wrote: »
    What is the best alternative of Virgin?

Depends, you've got a few options: http://www.stoozing.com/0fees.php
    Partly depends which card you want to BT the balance from to make sure it's not from the same issuer http://www.stoozing.com/cards.htm e.g. - you can't BT from an Tesco card to a Natwest card because they're both from the RBS stable.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • Moggles_2
    Options
    jj707070 wrote: »
    What is the best alternative to Virgin?
    Best in what respect?

Also, your options depend, to some extent, on which cards you have at the mo or have held recently.
  • Billathome
    Options
    Talking about the same stables, I have a Virgin card for which the 0% deal ends next month. I applied for a British Tel. 0% card and noticed that it said you can't transfer from another MBNA account. OK, no problem I thought, but on looking at the Virgin paperwork, I see that this is actually with a MBNA account as well (which they never told me when I applied).

Is my planned BT transfer to the new card screwed?
  • NickX
    NickX Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    Billathome wrote: »

Not necessarily, but it may cost you more.

MBNA cards allow you to transfer funds to your bank account. You can then pay off the old card from there. However I think the fee to do this is 4% which is probably more than you were going to pay for a standard Balance Transfer.

Hope this helps.
  • Moggles_2
    Options
    Billathome wrote: »
    I have a Virgin card for which the 0% deal ends next month. I applied for a British Tel. 0% card and noticed that it said you can't transfer from another MBNA account. OK, no problem I thought, but on looking at the Virgin paperwork, I see that this is actually with a MBNA account as well (which they never told me when I applied).
    Yes, both cards are underwritten by the same bank, MBNA.

I'm not familiar with the British Telecom card. Does it allow you to transfer an overdraft, (in other words, transfer cash from the credit card to your current account) at balance transfer rates?

If so, you then have funds in your current account with which to pay off your Virgin card ;)
  • Moggles_2
    Options
    Moggles wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the British Telecom card. Does it allow you to transfer an overdraft, (in other words, transfer cash from the credit card to your current account) at balance transfer rates?
    According to my intelligence sources, yes it does.

A 4% handling fee applies, but there are no other charges during the introductory 0% period.

IMO, it's best to request your money transfer by phone (as opposed to online), so you can make certain the 0% interest rate will apply. You can do this when you call to activate your card. (There's a dedicated, Freefone number.)

You can borrow up to 95% of your credit limit. The money arrives in your bank account in about 6 days ;)
  • georgenzo
    Options
    I already have a Virgin card and wanted to transfer the balance.

I applied for a Santander 0% card, and was declined. As an existing Barclaycard holder I could not apply for the 0% platinum, so I applied to upgrade to the "Breathe" card, which offers 0% on balance transfers for 6 months. I was also declined for that.

I earn over 50K p/a and I have never missed a credit card payment. Just what do you have to do in order to get one of these cards??

By the way, I am no longer a Barclaycard customer thanks to this episode!
  • Moggles_2
    Options
    georgenzo wrote: »
    I already have a Virgin card and wanted to transfer the balance. I applied for a Santander 0% card and was declined. As an existing Barclaycard holder I could not apply for the 0% platinum, so I applied to upgrade to the "Breathe" card, which offers 0% on balance transfers for 6 months. I was also declined for that. I earn over 50K p/a and I have never missed a credit card payment. Just what do you have to do in order to get one of these cards? By the way, I am no longer a Barclaycard customer thanks to this episode.
    I don't know whether it's any consolation, but Barclaycard has figured quite prominently on this thread recently and rarely for the right reasons. This lender currently turns away 50% of its applicants. Of those accepted, roughly a third do not get the card they applied for. Credit limits tend to be lowish too.

That said, Santander is not known to score particularly harshly.

Have you looked at your credit reports lately to see what's on there? Mistakes happen. For help, see page 1 of the *How to obtain credit reports* sticky.

For tips to improve your chances of credit card acceptance, have a look at the *Credit Rating: how it works and how to improve it guide* especially Martin's *Manage and Improve your credit score* article

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/credit-rating-credit-score#improve

13 months at 0% is currently available to new customers from Halifax on balance transfers made in the first 90 days. There's a 3% BT fee.
    IME (and from feedback here), credit limits are generous and the minimum monthly payment is just 1% of the balance shifted ;)

http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/pluscard136.asp
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback