PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Cash buyer Searches

Options
maimee_magic
maimee_magic Posts: 392 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 October 2019 at 9:14AM in House buying, renting & selling
I'm buying an Edwardian house for cash in an area I know well and wondering whether to bother with the Personal and Drainage and Water Searches. It's in an area i know well and have looked on the council's planning portal for any applications etc. The house has never been extended. Is it worthwhile getting them or a waste of money?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you understand what the searches cover, and you're happy with your own research, then there's no reason to get your own.

The halfway house is to get search insurance, which is cheaper and faster than actually getting searches.
  • maimee_magic
    Options
    If I get just the drainage and water search will I receive a map of where the drains are so I can see if it's a shared drain and where they are if I decided to do an extension at a later date?
  • loubel
    loubel Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    You will get a plan showing the known drains, but it is unlikely to be comprehensive as ownership of shared drains changed a few years ago.

I would think if you just wanted one search it would be the local, to ensure that you are not going to take on any otherwise unknown liabilities on the property.
  • maimee_magic
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. What sort of unknown liabilities could there be?
  • loubel
    loubel Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Grant repayments, enforcement notices etc - the local search covers a lot more than just planning permissions. I'd suggest if you don't know what questions it asks you can't make an informed decision not to get those answers and would be sensible to get the search done. It's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure