Credit Card Surcharges

Options
Companies are no longer allowed to add a surcharge for a payment by credit card? That is correct isn't it? When was this introduced? I think it was only a few months ago?

Thanks

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    13 January: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2018/01/cards-fees-to-be-banned-from-saturday

Some exceptions though, such as business cards and payments relating to contracts formed before that date (e.g. 2018 holidays booked in 2017), and, as per the article, many companies introduced admin fees instead that are legal if applying across all payment types....
  • Kingfishers
    Options
    Can anyone tell me, if a company is a member of the CAE or Commercial Agent Exemption,, so they act as a middle man, are they exempt from the new law regarding charging for use of credit cards? In other words, are they still permitted to charge a fee for accepting credit card payment, because they are a commercial agent?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone tell me, if a company is a member of the CAE or Commercial Agent Exemption,, so they act as a middle man, are they exempt from the new law regarding charging for use of credit cards? In other words, are they still permitted to charge a fee for accepting credit card payment, because they are a commercial agent?

They can if they charge the exact same fee for all other methods of payment.
    (Are they based in UK)
  • capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Followup from the info above, the exact situation is this.

I get my car insurance through a local broker, get great service so I just want to be abslolutely sure of my ground here.

Renewal Premium is £163, Intermediary Fee is £6.00 and Legal Expenses £20.00 total is £189. I'm okay with that.

In their renewal letter Payment Methods Available:

Cheque - £189
    Cash - £189
    Credit card - £189 and a 2% charge will be added
    Debit card - £189 No additional charge

So is the 2% charge allowed under the new rules for credit cards?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. .
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Possibly an old template that has not been updated but still very silly of a strictly regulated company not being on the ball.
  • capital0ne
    capital0ne Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone, when I go to pay I'll point this out to them. In the past I've always paid by debit card, besides this they do a really good job.

I'll update this thread when I've paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport