Withdrawing Cash on Your Credit Card Abroad

Options

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Though there are a few debit cards that are cheaper for cash withdrawals, nationwide flexplus and n and p current account spring to mind as well as metro.
  • MoneySavingTart
    Options
    Another big plus with halifax clarity for foreign use is that you can preload the account before you go away so that no interest is charged on cash withdrawals. Just put on as much or perhaps a little extra than you plan to withdraw AS CASH by bacs transfer. It does not matter how much you spend on the card with credit transactions, your cash withdrawals will not attract interest.
    If you are away on the statement date, then any preload balance may well be set against the total statement so you might have to either top up whilst you are away or withdraw enough cash for the rest of the holiday before the statement date.

I've been doing this with 100% success for several years of foreign travel.

Bob
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Options
    Another big plus with halifax clarity for foreign use is that you can preload the account before you go away so that no interest is charged on cash withdrawals. Just put on as much or perhaps a little extra than you plan to withdraw AS CASH by bacs transfer. It does not matter how much you spend on the card with credit transactions, your cash withdrawals will not attract interest.
    If you are away on the statement date, then any preload balance may well be set against the total statement so you might have to either top up whilst you are away or withdraw enough cash for the rest of the holiday before the statement date.

I've been doing this with 100% success for several years of foreign travel.

Bob
    Just a word of warning, pre-loading the Clarity card breaches the T&Cs (specifically condition 16.9). Do so at your own risk.
  • MoneySavingTart
    Options
    Thanks for that YorkshireBoy.

They must have changed that because I specifically asked them via twitter ( for a degree of anonymity!) if it was acceptable when I first got the card - 4-5 years ago and got the go ahead.

Bob
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    They must have changed that because I specifically asked them via twitter ( for a degree of anonymity!) if it was acceptable when I first got the card - 4-5 years ago and got the go ahead.
    Wouldn't be the first time they've given out incorrect information. Look what happened here...

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=528883
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As well as the Ts & Cs themselves (which are obviously the definitive position), they even specifically say not to do this in their FAQ at http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/low-rate-no-fee/clarity-card/#Can_I_put_money_on_my_card:
    Can I put money on my card to increase my available credit whilst on holiday?
    Credit cards are not designed to be used this way. Using the card in this way breaches the product's Terms & Conditions, which state:
    7.7 You must not make payments or transfer funds from another credit or store card to your account that would leave a credit balance on your account. We may return any funds that exceed the balance owing on your account to the account from which the money was sent.
  • MikeJ37
    MikeJ37 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a Halifax Clarity card, which I only use abroad, and was advised by a Halifax assistant that putting money on the account before withdrawing cash could be seen as money laundering but was quite acceptable to transfer money from a current account after cash withdrawn. If you use card for purchase and money withdrawal any cash you transfer will be used to pay off cash advance first then purchases, there may then be no credit left to cover futher cash withdrawals. Therefore to be safe transfer money in only after cash advance has appeared on account, interest charge then will be minimal.
  • YorkshireBoy
    Options
    MikeJ37 wrote: »
    I have a Halifax Clarity card, which I only use abroad, and was advised by a Halifax assistant that putting money on the account before withdrawing cash could be seen as money laundering but was quite acceptable to transfer money from a current account after cash withdrawn. If you use card for purchase and money withdrawal any cash you transfer will be used to pay off cash advance first then purchases, there may then be no credit left to cover futher cash withdrawals. Therefore to be safe transfer money in only after cash advance has appeared on account, interest charge then will be minimal.
    Payments are applied to statemented transactions first, so unless you clear the full balance you won't be able to avoid interest on the cash advance if you've got a pre-existing purchases balance.

All as detailed in your T&Cs.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MikeJ37 wrote: »
    advised by a Halifax assistant that putting money on the account before withdrawing cash could be seen as money laundering
    An example of how the term 'money laundering' is bandied about for all kinds of spurious purposes these days. In this case it seems to be used to scare anyone from 'pre-loading' their Clarity card and avoid interest on foreign cash withdrawals, and probably indicates that there is not much they can actually do to prevent it, or perhaps even notice it being done. Or am I much mistaken..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    It's funny, I was about to make a similar comment in another thread where a retailer used "money laundering" as an a reason for not being able to split a large transaction over two CCs.

The issue for CCs with pre-loading is that deposit taking has it's own distinct regulatory regime separate from lending.

Whether it raises money laundering issues depends on how the pre-loading is done. Eg large amounts of cash deposit would be high risk, a transfer from a current account, little/no risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure