Unsecured Debt Free by 2021

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Rather than go down the full DMP at this stage, I have decided to contact my credit card suppliers myself and ask if they'll stop adding interest to the outstanding balances.

Worth a try but unlikey unless you are currently in arrears.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • EmergencyNurse
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Worth a try but unlikey unless you are currently in arrears.

Well thats very easily solved!:)
    Debt March 2018 £27,596:eek: DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2023:T:T:T Debt July 2020 £14,700 Debt July 2021 £9300
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That soa does not look sustainable and if you are being charged interest on those debts and just paying minimums it will be a very long hard journey. I cannot see how 50% of your income can go towards debt, you still have a shortfall of £77 and nothing in your budget for emergencies, presents, entertainment, clothing etc and only £50 for food. I am not surprised you are hungry. Food is a priority expense and for your health you must not go hungry to pay unsecured debts. Gas and electric is high. Is it a large house you are heating?

A DMP via stepchange or contacting your creditors yourself would be a good first step I think to see if they will reduce or freeze your interest. Have you defaulted on any payments yet? You can open a new basic bank account with any bank you do not already owe money to.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Agree with the others that it doesn't look realistic longer term especially for 3 years.

However you CAN sort it even if it means a different route to what you first thought.

I agree about the DMP even if you do a self managed DMP.

Look forward to following, I've been where you are and I promise it DOES get better

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • EmergencyNurse
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I'm currently looking at National Debt Line for any solutions.
    Debt March 2018 £27,596:eek: DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2023:T:T:T Debt July 2020 £14,700 Debt July 2021 £9300
  • EmergencyNurse
    Options
    National Debt Helpline Budget Completion Advice Please:

I've just completed a National Debt Helpline Budget, just need some confirmation....for amounts owed do you put in the amount you are are supposed to pay each month OR the total amount you owe until the end of a credit agreement.

I struggling to accept the recommended £25 a month outcome to clear a c£26k debt, what happens to the rest of my income? Why would a creditor accept such a plan?

Do I want to live frugally for three more years and clear the debt OR pay this small amount over 10 years with the added interest that would no doubt involve?

I know I'm banging on about it, but I know I can live on £50 a month grocery budget, TBH i've been doing it for a lot less over the past year, and it is sustainable, just eat when you're hungry no more, no less.

All thoughts welcome.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The benefit to a DMP usually is the creditors freeze the interest. They will ask for an soa and you will fill it out with the usual recommended amounts. I think for 1 person £100 for food per month is usual. You can put something for emergencies and entertainment, haircuts, presents and clothing. All the categories you currently allow nothing for. You cannot afford the current debt you have. There is a £77 shortfall even without all the gaps in your soa so you must be falling further into debt each month.

Hopefully the end result will be you paying an affordable amount to your debts. If your creditors will reduce or freeze interest without a DMP that would help. Add up all the interest and bank charges you pay each month as an idea of what the debt is costing you. That needs to be added to that shortfall as if you don't cover the cost of servicing the debt and just pay minimums it will never be paid off.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    The benefit to a DMP usually is the creditors freeze the interest. They will ask for an soa and you will fill it out with the usual recommended amounts. I think for 1 person £100 for food per month is usual. You can put something for emergencies and entertainment, haircuts, presents and clothing. All the categories you currently allow nothing for. You cannot afford the current debt you have. There is a £77 shortfall even without all the gaps in your soa so you must be falling further into debt each month.

Hopefully the end result will be you paying an affordable amount to your debts. If your creditors will reduce or freeze interest without a DMP that would help. Add up all the interest and bank charges you pay each month as an idea of what the debt is costing you. That needs to be added to that shortfall as if you don't cover the cost of servicing the debt and just pay minimums it will never be paid off.

I agree with this.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 March 2018 at 8:42PM
    Options
    Can you get a second job, agency work, or similar for evenings or weekends?

Can you rent a room out to a lodger?

Do you have any thing you can sell?

You need to question the gas and electric more, if they owe you money, get it back, to help

Mortgage can you get a mortgage 'holiday'
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • EmergencyNurse
    Options
    Sorted:

Sent off my gas and electric meter reading both less than the estimated reading on the current bill.
    Applied for a water meter already - i'm definitely paying over the odds.
    Asked CC companies to suspend adding interest -like a 0% balance transfer without the transfer!
    Carry on with overtime and agency, pay unsecured debts off as planned, whats another three years of overtime, Ive been doing it since 2010.
    Reduce hours at work in 2021 - never work a weekend, night, bank holiday or Christmas again.

Sod a DMP for c£77 a month
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure