PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Enquiries that vendor cannot answer.

Options
2»

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sometimes solicitors can raise issues that don't really matter, they just demand paperwork for everything.
    If the conservatory is that old (you should be able to tell how old it is because conservatories get manky quite quickly) and it has no signs of any problems then tell your solicitor that you don't care whether it has building control or a breach covenant and to proceed with the deal. If you do care about these issues then instruct your solicitor to buy an indemnity policy. If the mortgage lender isn't happy, then buy an indemnity policy.
    Trying to chase the previous owners for paperwork is a waste of time, even if you find them they probably won't have it.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it is an ordinary conservatory, separated from the main house by an external quality door it will never have needed Building Control Approval because conservatories are classed as outbuildings, not extensions. Neither a completion certificate nor an indemnity policy is necessary. It still frustrates me that solicitors don't know this stuff.

Any breach of an old covenant is easily covered by indemnity insurance if it is needed to satisfy the lender.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about the breached covenant, depending on what it is.

That and the fact that she's only owned it for 18 months!

I guess you've already asked why she's selling though and are happy with her answer?

Edit: I've just noticed that you said "lived in for 18 months" rather than owned so may not be relevant
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 March 2018 at 2:21PM
    Options
    T4taylor wrote: »
    Smodlet it is about the fact no outhouses could be built - this was stipulated in 1974 and the conservatory breached this.

Is a conservatory an "outhouse" since by nature it is attached to the main building? Is there no way around this covenant as, unless there is some specific reason, it sounds unreasonable.

As stator said, if the conservatory has been there a long time, it would seem the covenant has been breached for a long time and nothing seems to have been done about it... Unless the vendors know differently?

All the houses in this area have a restrictive covenant on paper requiring permission to be sought before building any extension. In practice, apparently this permission is never withheld so perhaps your situation is purely a paperwork/make the lawyers rich exercise as well.

Best of luck, OP.
  • Ithaca
    Ithaca Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    T4taylor wrote: »
    Thank you for all of your responses. In which case, how can I hurry my solicitor along to accept that a response to this enquiry won!!!8217;t be coming and get her to just send the report on those she does have.
    Are you buying with a mortgage?

It's been allueded to but if so, keep in mind that your solicitor is not just asking on your behalf but also your lender (as they are assuming a considerable interest in the property).

If you are a cash buyer you can absolutely ask your solicitor to stop waiting and progress; but if you are mortgaging your solicitor has a responsibility to the lender and won't be able to proceed until they are satisfied the query has been resolved. It is frustrating but part of buying with a mortgage.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ithaca wrote: »
    if you are mortgaging your solicitor has a responsibility to the lender and won't be able to proceed until they are satisfied the query has been resolved.
    But as I said above, the query really shouldn't be directed at the vendor (who has a vested interest in saying that no consents would have been required!), so I think it's reasonable to ask the solicitor why they can't form their own view or ask the surveyor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure