Mondeo throttle lag

Options
13»

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    An independent garage did my Avensis 1.8 petrol for £350. Mr Toyota's price was initially £750 reduced to £650 as I'm a regular customer. Perhaps get a quote from a main dealer as a reference then speak to a recommended independent garage.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I go to our local anyway as we have been using them for ages and they are very trustworthy.

They are calling their suppliers and will be giving me a call back with a price later today.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Full clutch kit, plus a DMF, plus labour.
    Is the flywheel a service part these days?

My Audi needed a new one at 170k as the rubber between the masses had almost failed, the Porsche didn't when the clutch was replaced at 98k.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Full clutch kit, plus a DMF, plus labour.

Did the same job on my wife's Audi 1.8T petrol a few months back, was £600 from my friendly local garage because I didn't have the time to do it myself, so I'd guess at least that kind of money.

I'd advise the OP to definitely change the DMF at the same time.

I had a slipping clutch on a petrol Mondeo MK3 which was returned to the secondhand dealer the day I bought it. They assured me it would be repaired properly including DMF at their cost. They didn't replace the DMF. It lasted a year before the clutch failed. Because of the time interval I couldn't prove it was their fault. I paid for it to be replaced by a recommended good independent. It cost around £1000.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    marcarm wrote: »
    Take it it's a price job if it is the clutch?

Really annoyed as the car has been really well looked after, recently serviced and mot but guess they don't look at the clutch then. Having just bought the car and then having to drop some more money on getting the clutch replaced.................

No they don't look at the clutch in a MOT or a service because it requires the gearbox to be removed and its the best part of a day to do that on a Mondeo as it is quite an involved job.

Clutch replacement with dual mass flywheel and clutch slave cylinder WHICH YOU WANT TO DO AT THE SAME TIME is about £700-£800. You could save a couple of hundred quid not changing the DMF and slave cylinder but its a false economy because when they do fail it'll be another £400+ in labour you could have avoided.
  • marcarm
    Options
    Garage confirmed it was the clutch, quite of £1.1k :-(
    Although I am able to source the parts cheaper and they will fit them so just need to decide why to do now.

Mr Clutch quoted £450 but of course that is the clutch only and not the dmf
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this the gutless 1.8 tdci pug engined mondeo ?
    I know they do this, its just to weak an engine to get it moving until the turbo finally wakes up.

If its th 2.0, the clutch is going.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Garage confirmed it was the clutch, quite of £1.1k :-(
    Although I am able to source the parts cheaper and they will fit them so just need to decide why to do now.

Mr Clutch quoted £450 but of course that is the clutch only and not the dmf

Ouch on the 1st price, however worth checking with Mr Clutch how much for DMF at the same time. They have the car to bits to replace clutch, it should only be fractionally more than the additional cost of the DMF to have that fitted too.
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • marcarm
    Options
    mcpitman wrote: »
    Ouch on the 1st price, however worth checking with Mr Clutch how much for DMF at the same time. They have the car to bits to replace clutch, it should only be fractionally more than the additional cost of the DMF to have that fitted too.

I have had other quotes ranging from £700 - £1.2k for a main dealer.

Shame my local garage couldn't do it cheaper as they are very trustworthy and have been using them for years.

Will try Mr. Clutch to see what the additional would be.
  • shopbot
    shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had other quotes ranging from £700 - £1.2k for a main dealer.

Shame my local garage couldn't do it cheaper as they are very trustworthy and have been using them for years.

Will try Mr. Clutch to see what the additional would be.

I would recommend using your local if you rate them as you say you do. Unfortunately it is an eye wateringly expensive job and sometimes it's best to 'bite the bullet' and use someone you trust.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure