Scammed from TSB

Options

Comments

• Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Regan55 wrote: »
    His phone (original sim) had the usual comp generated message a minute after the attempt for another SIM card. Asking if he authorised it.

He, being in the Army, isn’t allowed his phone on him during the day, so by the time he got the message, the scammer was gone, with a sim to control his phone. He had to borrow a phone to phone 191

If the scammer had the sim and therefore could receive security code from TSB how could the scammer also log in to the TSB account and make the transactions transferring money out to new accounts?
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    Well Yorkshire........they did let someone walk out of the shop with a new SIM card.........and no, they did not wait until he could authorise it.

Not got a clue how they got/had his bank details, but basically when they were in charge of his phone.......they money started going, and the bank sends a “Is this you......enter this code” to his phone, which they now controlled.

You only have to look on-line to see the shambles TSB’s security is/has been. So yes.......I do chuffing well think so

TSBs security has not been a shambles, I haven't seen any other claim of this.

TSB's attempted migration to another banking platform has been a shambles true.
  • Regan55
    Regan55 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    If the scammer had the sim and therefore could receive security code from TSB how could the scammer also log in to the TSB account and make the transactions transferring money out to new accounts?

I wish to god I new.........he’s been a victim of ID fraud. So many details of other people’s bank accounts have been popping up, when some have logged on to there own accounts.

TSB’s security has been shocking recently........you’ve only got to google all the stuff.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That still doesn't explain how they got his login details which would consist of a user id, password and memorable name/place etc. to enter
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    That still doesn't explain how they got his login details which would consist of a user id, password and memorable name/place etc. to enter

TSB have the "3 random characters from a long word" method of security. Pretty hard to crack i'd imagine.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TSB’s security has been shocking recently........you’ve only got to google all the stuff.
    Yes the security has been shocking, even using the correct log in and security details you could not access accounts !
  • Regan55
    Options
    But, you only have to read some of the cases that have popped up within the last month.........one guy has had money disappear, and an 8k loan taken out in his name.

I really wish I knew the answers, but TSB is deluged with calls, and only last night we called the fraud priority line we were given, and had to listen to the phone ring for 2 1/2 hours before someone picked up.......they are a bloody shambles at the moment, week 4
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can't you and your son go and sit in his branch until he gets answers?
  • Regan55
    Options
    Lungboy wrote: »
    Can't you and your son go and sit in his branch until he gets answers?

We sat in a branch last Saturday when this was all discovered, the bank manager phoned the fraud line, and it rang constantly, 3 hours we sat there......had to leave when the bank was closing.........tried again when we got home, another 3 hours.
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    This all sounds so implausible!

Using the TSB 'shambles' as a platform on which to concoct a scammed story. However it is just not possible for all this to have happened without the knowledge and involvement of the account holder.

IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport