Peer-to-peer lending sites: MSE guide discussion

Options

Comments

• firestone
    firestone Posts: 520 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    many like Lending works are trying to work through ISA money in April but at least with them any reinvested money goes to the front of the queue
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    One other extremely shady aspect of the whole situation is the individual who infiltrated one of the other forums and made a series of posts designed to build confidence in COL, then after the FCA got involved made some false claims in order to rally lenders against the appointment of BDO.

I note that this individual's account is not banned at the time I write this and he has been active on said forum today. In contrast, others have been banned for speaking out against him.

I'm pretty sure there are 3 or 4 fairly obvious platform shills over there.

I tend to distrust members who seem to be on first name terms with platform employees - referring to the first administrator by her christian name seemed over-familiar.. There are always a few 'tells'... the lobbying seemed bizarre.
  • agent69
    agent69 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    Regarding MT Prestbury - bearing in mind that LTV of 65%, only 90% was recovered

The initial distribution from the administrator was 89% with a further 5 - 7% due on completion. They are also looking at recovering money taken out of the company inappropriately shortly before the sticky brown stuff hit the fan.
  • shoi
    shoi Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

you'd expect about the same by just shoving your money in a cautiously managed corporate bond fund, such as https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-global-credit-bond-fund-investor-gbp-hedged-accumulation-shares and that has much lower risk and better regulatory protection.

But is actually losing money, thanks for the tip (not)
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    shoi wrote: »

Agreed, hardly an investment paying 3.1% with another 0.35% in fees. So effectively 2.75%.

Inflation is 3%+ last time I looked - not quite as bad a flushing tenners down the loo, but still losing money in real terms.

Still P2P isn't for everyone, and this should be fairly safe.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Options
    shoi wrote: »

very recent performance (down c. 3% from peak value) is not a good way to predict the future. it does demonstrate that the fund can go down as well as up.

compared to p2p, it has vastly less default risk (it is 90%+ in investment grade bonds, and very well diversified; p2p is always junk, and not always well diversified), but more term risk (temporary losses in asset value, due to being locked into fixed interest rates when rates rise; the fund's money is locked in for an average of 6.4 years; p2p is typically much shorter-term).

the latter risk happens to have showed up (in a small way) over the last few months: (some) bond prices have fallen a bit, and their yields risen.

unlike p2p, you can always get your money out of this fund right away if you want to. but that may be for a small loss. if you leave it in for a years, it will make you money. you don't have to worry about large parts (or all) of your capital disappearing, which you do with p2p (whether that is due to a cluster of defaults, or platform fraud or maladministration).

if you know what to expect from it, the fund is a good, boring, holding, which won't keep you awake at night.
    bxboards wrote: »
    Agreed, hardly an investment paying 3.1% with another 0.35% in fees. So effectively 2.75%.

that's exactly how i'd start estimating the likely return from this fund. but then i'd want to add something for likely gains from rolling short-term bonds into longer-term bonds. as time passes, the bonds the fund holds all gradually become shorter term, and it will gradually be selling some of its shortest-term bonds (which have lower YTM) and replacing them with longer-term bonds (which have higher YTM). which boosts returns (assuming a positive yield curve - which is the usual situation, including now). i don't know how to quantify this, but as a vague stab, perhaps we're back to about 3%.
    Inflation is 3%+ last time I looked - not quite as bad a flushing tenners down the loo, but still losing money in real terms.

looking backwards over 12 months, somewhere between 2.3% (CPIH) and 3.3% (RPI). so IMHO the fund is currently looking likely at least to match inflation.
  • coldjim
    coldjim Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Ratesettler are giving £100 if I put in £1000.... https://www.ratesetter.com

What do people reckon? seems like a good idea to me? Just wanted to check.
  • fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's a good offer
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    very recent performance (down c. 3% from peak value) is not a good way to predict the future
    It's down 2.67% for 2018 so far and about 2% since it started in late 2017. But that's to be expected because...
    more term risk (temporary losses in asset value, due to being locked into fixed interest rates when rates rise; the fund's money is locked in for an average of 6.4 years; p2p is typically much shorter-term).
    it's poorly invested for an environment of rising interest rates, so further capital price losses can be expected. Since this is an accumulation fund the interest payments might mask that.
    if you know what to expect from it, the fund is a good, boring, holding, which won't keep you awake at night.
    It doesn't look like a good investment choice at the moment. If a bond fund is desired, something with lower average term looks like a better idea.

if you leave it in for a years, it will make you money. you don't have to worry about large parts (or all) of your capital disappearing
    Of course you have to worry about capital loss and with this fund it looks more likely than not that capital will be lost by those who invest now. Minimal chance of losing all of the capital but if the broker where you hold the fund fails you can be locked in for the duration of the administration and be compelled to take large capital losses from the administration costs, if you hold more than £50,000 of total investments at the broker.
  • coldjim
    coldjim Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    It's a good offer

U reckon this is the best offer to go with at the moment if i am investing £1000? How is rate settler?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback