Final Bill from Zog

Options
PennineAcute
PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 16 May 2018 at 3:54PM in Energy
I moved my gas from Zog to Utility Point, which went live on 20.4.18. I gave them an opening read of 611 on the 18.4.18

Today, I received my final bill from Zog which has a closing ESTIMATED read of 613. I contacted ZOG to query the discrepancy and they replied that I gave Utility Point an opening read of 492, which Zog rejected and the two of them came to an agreement of 613.

This of course, I cannot believe, as all final and opening reads are done via a third party and they give both old and new supplier the agreed final reading.

I am waiting for Utility Point to contact me, so I can see what their opening read is.

If theirs is 613, then all is okay. If it is not, how to I proceed with this.

Thanks

2Grnt.png

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2018 at 5:07PM
    Options
    As you say the reading to be used by both sides is the validated one supplied by the third party to the gaining supplier which is then passed to the losing supplier. If the readings differ then your complaint would be with Zog. How you can come up with a validated reading that is not accurate is beyond me but that is how the dysfunctional energy industry works ;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some homework - questions to follow:

https://octopus.energy/blog/secret-life-opening-meter-reading/

All meter gas meter readings are now validated, and once validated they are entered by the supplier onto the National Database. This change came in last year. The data collectors will have used the last validated meter reading on the system on which to base their estimate. Were you giving Zog readings every month? I give Zog a reading on the last day of each month and it is always used for billing.

If the closing and opening readings do not agree then this is a matter that the GAINING supplier has to resolve under the terms of its Supply Licence.
  • PennineAcute
    Options
    I gave weekly readings to Zog, along with the last day in the month. It did not occur to me that I did not get a March statement, so the bill was from 28 Feb - 20 Apr.

My actual reading for the 20.4.18 was 613, so it was not a bad estimate (couldn't have improved if they tried).

Still awaiting my call back from Utility Point, but thanks for the info re gaining supplier.

2Gry7.png
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am not sure that Zog is entirely to blame here; that said, I am not sure how they would know what reading you gave to your new supplier unless UP told them! The gaining supplier submits the meter reading that you provided for validation, and the validated reading is passed back to the two suppliers to open and close your accounts. Clearly, the process of validation has gone awry and the validated reading has come out at 492. The good news is that the two suppliers seem to have come to a sensible determination based on your reading of 608.
  • PennineAcute
    Options
    Good news, my new supplier has confirmed the same reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure