Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dreamer80
    • By Dreamer80 17th Apr 19, 10:54 PM
    • 60Posts
    • 235Thanks
    Dreamer80
    Additional Employment during IVA help.
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:54 PM
    Additional Employment during IVA help. 17th Apr 19 at 10:54 PM
    Hello,

My husband and I have recently entered into a joint IVA with Stepchange. All payments are coming from his salary.
    Due to ill health and family commitments, I have been unable to work for the past few years.
    I am hoping to be able to return to employment within the next 12 months.
    My question is, will I be permitted to keep a portion of any potential earnings or will Stepchange expect all to be paid into our IVA?
    Thankyou in advance
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 19th Apr 19, 12:11 PM
    • 17,415 Posts
    • 16,418 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 19th Apr 19, 12:11 PM
    • 19th Apr 19, 12:11 PM
    You will have to re-budget wont you.

Only disposable income goes towards IVA payments, if you start work again, your expences will go up in line with that, for example, more fuel/wear and tear on the car, or public transport costs, clothes for work, lunches, etc etc etc.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    • PrettyKittyKat
    • By PrettyKittyKat 27th Apr 19, 5:20 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    PrettyKittyKat
    • 27th Apr 19, 5:20 PM
    • 27th Apr 19, 5:20 PM
    Was there anything written into your proposal about what would happen if you went back to work?

Were there any modifications related to you returning to work? Or an increase in disposable income?

You would need a complete I&E review if you did return as your outgoings would change also. It is likely that you would need to increase your payments by 50% of the increase in DI, as long as your proposal or mods don't say otherwise!
    • semikie123
    • By semikie123 18th May 19, 12:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    semikie123
    • 18th May 19, 12:24 PM
    • 18th May 19, 12:24 PM
    This should have been stated in your paperwork, mine states the amount I am allowed to earn PA before informing Step Change If I earn more I think they take 60%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,366Posts Today

7,872Users online

Martin's Twitter