Fraud

Options
Hi a credit card was fraudulently obtained using my details. I recieved a copy of my credit report and notice there was an entry for the credit card with the title of "Mr". I am Ms. What information do credit card companies use to do credit checks - I would have thought they check title?

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 6 December 2019 at 2:45AM
    Options
    follyfoot wrote: »
    Hi a credit card was fraudulently obtained using my details. I recieved a copy of my credit report and notice there was an entry for the credit card with the title of "Mr". I am Ms. What information do credit card companies use to do credit checks - I would have thought they check title?
    My credit reports don't show title. Just the full name.
    As your are female I assume you have one of those ambiguous gender first names.
    The credit report will show name of lender etc so suggest you contact them ASAP to advise them that the credit card is not yours, assuming of course that it isn't. How old is the accounht? Is it in good standing? Are all other details such as your name, address and date of birth correct? How do you think that this fraud occurred and the fraudster obtained the card?
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    Some of my credit accounts report my title, but other do not - I think it's down to the individual lender if they report this information.

Personally however, I'd be more concerned that someone had sufficient information to open an account in your name, rather than that they got your title wrong. You need to contact the organisation ASAP to let them know it is fraud (assuming you haven't already), before debt is run up in your name. Report it to Action Fraud and get a crime number. Also make sure to check your credit files from all 3 CRAs to make sure there aren't any additional accounts you've not seen. Moving forward I'd be keeping an close eye, as once your details are out there it is difficult to get control of them again. You may also want to invest in a protective CIFAS registration, to cut down on further fraud attempts in the future.
  • follyfoot
    Options
    Some of my credit accounts report my title, but other do not - I think it's down to the individual lender if they report this information.

Personally however, I'd be more concerned that someone had sufficient information to open an account in your name, rather than that they got your title wrong. You need to contact the organisation ASAP to let them know it is fraud (assuming you haven't already), before debt is run up in your name. Report it to Action Fraud and get a crime number. Also make sure to check your credit files from all 3 CRAs to make sure there aren't any additional accounts you've not seen. Moving forward I'd be keeping an close eye, as once your details are out there it is difficult to get control of them again. You may also want to invest in a protective CIFAS registration, to cut down on further fraud attempts in the future.

Everything you mention has been done. Once you report to the credit card company they inform the main credit agencies and record your details free of charge with CIFAS. Action Fraud are not really interested if you are not left out of pocket. It is seen as a crime against the credit card company. I am not sure how my details were stolen. It does cause me to worry because store cards can be obtained without credit checks.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

Certain details, like first name and last name, are generally binary and differing would result in a mismatch from the credit reference agency. Occasionally, a minor mistake in the spelling could pass. The title is not binary and if the fraudster knew your exact first and last name, it would have located your credit file successfully and thereby conducted the rest of the check.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • Ben8282
    Options
    I am not sure how my details were stolen. It does cause me to worry because store cards can be obtained without credit checks.
    In your position I would be much more concerned with how somebody obtained ALL the necessary personal details to successfully open a creidit card (which you now imply was a store card but same thing I guess) in my name and how they had actually obtained possession of the physical card rather than worry about the fact that you believe (incorrectly) that store cards can be obtained without a credit check because somehow the wrong title of Mr was used. You say you are a Ms. So if tomorrow you chose to become a Mrs or Miss, would you expect the application to be declined on that basis?
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    In your position I would be much more concerned with how somebody obtained ALL the necessary personal details to successfully open a creidit card
    PRAISETHESUN has already made this point two days ago:
    Personally however, I'd be more concerned that someone had sufficient information to open an account in your name, rather than that they got your title wrong.
  • follyfoot
    follyfoot Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No idea how someone got my details and since the police are not investigating I will never know.
  • Ben8282
    edited 8 December 2019 at 7:35PM
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    PRAISETHESUN has already made this point two days ago:
    Thank you for pointing this out. Such a helpful reply.
    No idea how someone got my details and since the police are not investigating I will never know.
    And you don't appear to really care either do you? You are unbelievably dismissive of the real problem and concerned only that the credit check went through with the title of Mr as apposed to a female gender title.
    There is somebody out there somewhere who knows your full name, date of birth, address, employers name, other employment details, salary details, bank details and more who applied for this card and managed to somehow intercept your post to get all correspondence relating to this account and the physical card …..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure