PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Shop

Options
As I now cannot get to my shop - hobble hobble - I am considering online shopping.

I am concerned that it will be more expensive and that I will get nearly out of date goods or that I will get the wrong goods. Do they have a full list of their products. What about vegetarian goods are they accessible? The last thing that I wonder is whether you can see any reduced items - I guess not.

I want the advantages and disadvantages to using a supermarket online. I have seen the codes thread and that looks pretty good. Can you get money off and free extra points?

Please help!
All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]

Comments

• GIRLPOWER_2
    GIRLPOWER_2 Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for putting this one on as it will be of great use to me, I shopped online yesterday for the first time. I did my shop by first clicking on the special offers section on the tesco's site to see what they had on offer, and if any were on my list, then picked up everything else on the list and when to the checkout this told me what the final total of the bill was.. i went back to this site and got the 15 off a 75 shop code put that in and it worked. The money lost on the reduced section is gained cos you only get what you need and the codes on the site bring your bill down.. It should be delivered between 9 and 11 this morning and am still waiting.. but it's the vouchers I don't get.. how do you use up your cut out vouchers from mags??? if you shop on line every week.
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I try to do bulk and heavy goods online to use codes and get delivery man to lug the heavy shopping for me. Then I do smaller shops when necessary about once a week to top up - get any reduced then and use my vouchers. I think you can send vouchers back with delivery man but I'm not sure.
    I also take care to fill in their little instruction box (boy must they get sick of me :D ) "longest use by date possible please" or "must have a use by date of after 12th Aug" and if anything is on BOGOF or special price I tick do not substitute - at christmas I put on instructions for red wine - if not in stock please substitute with any other red wine on the offer or else do not substitute - imagine my suprise when I opened one of the substitute bottles and poured byself a nice glass of white wine! I always check the substitutions very carefully now! Wine was very nice though :D

Oh when my money off for shopping in store vouchers arrived for Tescos (I think they're sick of paying me to deliver my shopping!) there was on the attached letter something about - we will carry your shopping to your car for you - perhaps when you're not hobbling so much you could ask them to give you a hand packing & carrying your bags - keep them busy if nothing else!
  • cozzie
    cozzie Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I shopped online at Asda for the first time last week, it arrived yesterday and was pleasantly surprised beause the replacement that was sent was charged at the same price as the item I had ordered, "price match", I didn't know they did that.
    ... but it's the vouchers I don't get.. how do you use up your cut out vouchers from mags??? if you shop on line every week.

I emailed Asda and asked the same question, the reply was basically along the lines of....No, sorry, delivery driver has no way of doing this which is why we send out e-vouchers. But, it worked out the same as if shopping instore....shopping total of £52 + £4.95 delivery - £10 e-voucher, total = £47ish. If I had done the same shop instore then I could have used £5.20 of vouchers bringing the total to £47ish anyhoo, but, I haven't paid out for petrol, (saves another £1 or so.)

The one naughty thing I did notice was that some of the prices are slightly (1p or 2p) higher than instore, it may be that the prices on those items have gone up in the past week though.
    "And crawling on the planet's face,
    Some insects called the human race,
    Lost in time, and lost in space,
    And meaning"
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    Options
    I am over the moon.. first on line shop delivered at 10.55.. it was like christmas!!! I have saved loads of time, petrol and money. The 15.00 I had off with the code from this site covered the delivery and what I would have saved in vouchers.
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    Options
    I think you can send vouchers back with delivery man but I'm not sure.
    I also take care to fill in their little instruction box (boy must they get sick of me :D ) "longest use by date possible please" or "must have a use by date of after 12th Aug" and if anything is on BOGOF or special price I tick do not substitute - at christmas I put on instructions for red wine - if not in stock please substitute with any other red wine on the offer or else do not substitute - imagine my suprise when I opened one of the substitute bottles and poured byself a nice glass of white wine! I always check the substitutions very carefully now! Wine was very nice though :D

I asked the delivery man from Tesco today what the score is with cut out vouchers.. he said that they can only be used if you go in store... and thats a great tip about the notes I asked for some bogof breaded fish. they had none and sent me a box of some not on offer.. felt funny about sending them back but next time I will defo use the note system to stop it happening again. :j
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    Options
    sorry re #6..The first bit was a quote from Kscour..I don't know what I have done not to get it in a quote box.. still leaning.. sorry.
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    Did my first on line shop at Easter. We were renting a holiday cottage about 10 miles from the nearest supermarket, and didn't have time to shop before arriving.
    We arrived at about 2 o'clock and the shopping arrived about 4:30 ( a 3 to 5 slot). Used an online £10 voucher, so despite the £5 peak time charge still saved money. Also saved on holiday time & petrol. :j The Tesco man was very helpful and explained everything to us.

Going to do another order for when DS1 goes back to student house in Sept., no one in the house has a car, and supermarkets aren't handy, so going to do a bulk basic shop for him online. He's thinking they might try and organise a weekly group shop on-line for the 6 in the house.

So do remember you can chose and set up alternative delivery addresses, it can save time & money :j
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    I am big fan of online supermarket shopping too, we have delivery most weeks, even considering the delivery fee it's cheaper that paying for carer. I write in the delivery instructions box on the checkout page that I have a disability and may need some help with the bags if family not around.

just moved house this week and had tesco deliver on our moving day, v convenient :)

suggestion: do a search for 'value' to bring up every single tesco value product.

we've had 2nd tesco order this week to stock up the freezer, and all our fave value products:
    box tissue paper 32p
    box of 10 choc ices 39p
    long life milk, OJ, AJ 37p/35p/ 33p
    instant mash ( for breadmaking) 33p
    daughter has ordered value 'weetabix' to compare with Tesco healthy living 'wheat biscuits'

saves having to lug that lot home, plus all the frozen stuff arrives still frozen thanks to Tesco chiller van.

But I'm not too keen on ordering meat, as have found that the shopper picks up fatty cuts. I prefer to choose meat myself instead.

I phoned to complain about 2 packs of turkey thigh pieces that didn't smell right and the pack had puffed up, and they issued a refund straight off. But this doesn't make up for the inconveneice.
    -
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love it, I especially get all the heavy cans and bulky things like toilet rolls delivered. With Sainsburys I do it once a month (or less) and use their £70 and get free delivery tues to thurs. My time is then my own!!!

Hope you're not hobbling for too long.

Sainsburys also place all substitutes in blue bags and write them on the document so you can easily what they have done and find the items if you don't want them.

I love online shopping. Unfortunately, their vegetarian section is either shockingly bad or in hiding from me, as I can never find those items that I want in this section!
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Hi

I do all shopping online, mainly at Asda, but do always look around on here for voucher codes etc. Next week I have a £10 off a £50 shop. I find Asda to be excellent value for money and if there are any problems (short date, bruised fruit/veg, squashed items, leaks etc etc) I email them and they refund immediatly.

Every 8-10 weeks I do a "posh shop" normally from Waitrose/Ocado and buy most my meat and poultry to freeze here-find their meat quality excellent and again their customer services are excellent. I try and hunt around for the £20 off a £75 shop voucher and get free delivery too. They always chuck in a few freeby samples :D

Im disabled and totally rely on home delivery.

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts