Shift Work and Post Office access

Options
Hey all,

I work a four on four off shift pattern, which leaves me unable to get to a post office when I'm on shift.

I have an occasional clear out of stuff from my house, and schedule eBay auctions to end when I'm off shift, which has been working out fairly well.

However I have a few items that are higher value, but don't sell frequently. I hesitate to auction these as there's a good chance they'll go for far below what they're worth; on the other hand if I list them as a buy it now there's a chance someone could purchase it on the first day of my shift, leaving me unable to post it to them for a few days. I fear that bad feedback from that could negatively affect my ability to sell in the future.

Is there any platform I could sell on, where I could take regular, scheduled 'holidays'? I believe eBay has the ability to do this but only for those with shops, and as an occasional private seller I have no need for that.

Comments

• Gary123456790
    Options
    Have a look at courier prices like UPS - i often find it is the same price (or cheaper) than royal mail, usually around £5.99 for 24 hour delivery with insurance included. Nearest drop off to me is a dry cleaners that are out of town with easy parking, open long hours, weekends etc so there might be somewhere near you that is open long hours?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,295 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can set a long dispatch time, say 4 working days if that's what you need to cover your sales. I'm not sure how easy it is to keep changing dispatch times for a non shop seller though.

I amend my dispatch times several times a month due to working patterns as well, with a shop I can do it all in bulk. I don't extend past 3 days though and even that kills my sales, if I am unable to get to the PO for longer than 3 days I tend to close my shop for a while.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lindens
    lindens Posts: 2,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have a parcel shop nearby consider using parcel2go. I use them all the time except if it is a LL then i use PO.
    Also check out your local supermarket - many of them have POs inside these days with extended opening hours.
    Also have you checked your local PO opening hours or are you assuming. I only recently realised mine were open for 4 hours on a Sunday.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Research the post offices in the area mine has moved into a newsagents and the PO counter is open the same as the shop 5am -9pm 7 days a week .
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can buy your postage online and drop off at a PO/delivery office.
    Many delivery offices now have 7 day openings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure