Sick of buying tat - help?

Options
So it seems like the shops have filled with Christmas tat over night, and every year I end up buying rubbish just for the sake of giving someone a gift.

Really trying to kick against that this year as I can't afford to waste money.

Can anyone recommend Christmas gifts that aren't going to end up forgotten or abandoned?

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps it would be good for us to know who you have to buy presents for & ages of the recipients?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you want to avoid buying tat, ask the recipient for the types of gifts they would appreciate.

Failing that, here are some categories:
    Edibles - food (chocolates, jams and pickles etc), alcohol (bottle of wine or spirits)
    Something useful - gloves, bus pass holder, torch, book
    Experience - cinema tickets, vouchers for favourite restaurant
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    So it seems like the shops have filled with Christmas tat over night, and every year I end up buying rubbish just for the sake of giving someone a gift.

Can anyone recommend Christmas gifts that aren't going to end up forgotten or abandoned?
    I'd start by rethinking my present list - especially given your stated financial position.

When it gets to the point that you are exchanging bottles of wine, boxes of chocolates or toiletries with someone, that's the time to take a step back and say 'this is a waste of time and money, so let's stop doing it'.
  • Queenriderbrekke
    Options
    Some sort of charity buy a chicken/seed type gift? Oxfam unwrapped do this as do many other charities and start as low as £5 so in reach of most people, at least you know it won't be wasted?

Or

Donate to a food bank in that persons name and tell them what you donated in a nice Christmas card?
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No. 138

2012 £ 3147.74 2013 £1437.532014 £ 2356.52
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 November 2017 at 4:27PM
    Options
    Just wrote a long reply with loadsa links and somehow it got wiped out. Curses!

Magazine subscription:
    Quite a few listed here- 6 for £10 with a gift
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1075149&page=142- post 2824

https://www.presentaid.org/price/under-10
    £6 will buy you: art for vulnerable young people, sunflowers for a farmer,Women's champion
    £8: a pair of boots, toilet
    £9: school bag with books, Kid goat

For a family sponsor a puppy for a year @ £60
    These assistance charities aren't so well known but the work they do is life changing (even life saving)
    Medical detection dogs https://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk
    Dogs for Good: https://www.dogsforgood.org/
    Canine Partners:https://caninepartners.org.uk/
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • CharleyYpres
    Options
    Experiences: theatre tickets, cinema tickets.
    If it's a more personal gift, sometimes I will "plan a day" for my partner. So I will pick a specific breakfast, then an activity during the day and then something special in the evening. Last time I made french toast, took him to Bath to a little coffee shop we used to frequent when we first got together, then booked a table at a restaurant and had drinks afterwards. I wrote all this on a little card so it could be given as a gift.

Hampers are good too, since everything in them will theoretically be used. Food and drink hampers are good, also my brother did me a "movie night in" hamper with a few beers, crisps and popcorn and a DVD.

I think things like this as they can be made as cheap or pricey as you like :)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Totally with you on that - some things I've given or had are experience days - spa trips, massages, stunt driving day, rally driving, driving an E-Type, helicopter ride, theme park or football season tickets, gig or show tickets, holiday spending money. Then really useful things for the person and their hobbies or sports, like power banks, festival or travel things etc. Have also done IOU vouchers for car wing mirrors, MOT's when it's needed etc.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Needhelpsaving
    Options
    I agree with all of the previous posters ideas, if you plan in advance, you can be really creative and look out for deals to stretch your budget.

Firstly, agree who you are buying for and a budget for each person. For siblings/friends, perhaps agree to skip the gifts in favor of time together. My siblings and I agreed 2 years ago just to buy for nieces and nephews - I wasn't sure whether they would go for it, but once we broached the subject, they were relieved not to have to exchange bath sets for the next 20 odd years :rotfl: We have since done the same with OH family.

We have a family get together with each side of the family just before xmas. Nothing fancy - drinks, mince pies/cakes and a small buffet. The bring a plate idea also spreads the cost.

For friends, we go on an xmas meal each year - we find somewhere local and affordable and spend time together as opposed to buying gifts. It works out the same price as doing a secret santa (e.g. this year we are hitting the local Toby Carvery for a set menu 2 course lunch - it will come in at around £15-£20 per head and as we know we do this every year, we budget for it).

Other gift ideas are;
    - Hampers
    - Charity Donation/Plant a tree scheme
    - Cinema Voucher
    - Vouchers for babysitting etc - free for you, but priceless for a parent.
    - Framed photo (I framed my nan and grandad's wedding photo for my grandad after my nan passed away, as it was hidden in a box in the attic - it now has pride of place by his chair). You could do this of you and a loved one, or of family members together etc.
    2022 Target - Reduce new mortgage balance after house move - Part 1 (Ported) Starting balance £39,982.12 currently £37,242.19 Part 2 Starting Balance £101,997.88 currently £96,197.38 (as at 19/04/2022)
  • mickeymouse303
    Options
    I love the idea of charity donations as gifts, definitely seems more worthwhile than buying family and friends socks, choccies & alcohol haha.
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    Take or get a photo of someones pet, get it enlarged & printed and then frame it [can be done fairly cheaply if you shop around] you could even spray paint a charity shop frame.

Phone/tablet charging cables!

Budding artists get sketchbooks, tracing paper pads and drawing pencils/pens, not books about art.
    They would get an Amazon gift voucher to buy books.

You could buy someone a trip to an art gallery/museum or an evening class.

I was going to pay for my mum to have her car valeted on the inside, a basic valet is £30.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport