Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 November 2017 at 11:29AM
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I suspect it's a compliance car that got out of hand. In the US there are states where none can be sourced, whilst other states that are discounting them. In Europe some dealerships are being told to stop taking orders (Opel Ampera-E) as there's a long term shortage of supply.

It's almost as if Chevy doesn't want to sell them!

BTW - despite Opel now being owned by PSA (the Peugeot Citreon people) Chevy has to supply Ampera-E's whilst the car (Bolt) is still in production under the buy out contract.
    I wonder if they are selling it to psa at a loss which would make zero sense for a compliance car hence the supply issues. There are rumours that the facelift version may be available in rhd badged as a peugeot.

Leaf sales are low everywhere at the moment as there is a facelift model going on sale in the next few months and they have stopped making the old one and sold off all the stock.
    I think....
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    I wonder if they are selling it tompsa at amlossmwhichnwould make zero sense forma compliance car hence the supply issues. There are rumours that the facelift version may be available in rhd badged as a peugeot.

Leaf sales are low everywhere at the moment as there is a facelift kodel going on sale in the next few months and they have stopped making the old ole and sold off all the stock.

Hopefully it will, though it will be better in terms of range than the Peugeot's that have been announced are coming, which might suggest not.

The Bolt's 2632 sales in the USA in September 2017 weren't just high compared with the same month for the Leaf (1055), they were high compared with September 2016 too (1316), which suggests the Bolt is selling well, not just that the Leaf is dropping off ahead of the 2018 model.
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Try speakev.com which includes threads on leaf battery longevity. Leaf battery replacement is 5k, a few non-nissan experts replace the battery cells which have failed more cheaply. Renault let you replace an original 24kwh battery for a new 42kwh one for 10k.

Leaf in a what car survey is 94% relaible to 3 years old, 3rd in its size. I have had a diesel which had already cost a fortune to keep on the road when I sold it for little money at 7 years old 70k miles, not all are made as equal as your bmw.
    I don't really like the Leaf (personal opinion on styling), I would be looking at a Zoe if anything. Hopefully they are reliable and have similar good deals on battery replacement.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,005 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    I don't really like the Leaf (personal opinion on styling), I would be looking at a Zoe if anything. Hopefully they are reliable and have similar good deals on battery replacement.

Sadly the same survey had Zoes much less reliable in their first 3 years of life. There is a new leaf styled like the latest gen micra but it is not out until Jan and is obviously only available at 'new car' prices.

Other options are the Kia Soul EV and Hyundai Ioniq EV and BMW i3 but these tend to cost more. There are also in theory a few egolfs, eFocus etc around but these are very rare and pricey.
    I think....
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    I was having a mooch around the speakEV site the other day, which was interesting and informative. The subject of stock shortages came up a fair bit, particularly with some of the newer models like the Ioniq. It looks like manufacturers have a problem with meeting increases in demand for the far more practical newer models, and making sure they're not stuck with superceded technology.

It's all academic anyway as my current car is only 8 years old and I can see no reason to replace it other than desire! In two or three or four year's time I'm hoping they'll be a few more ex-lease cars on the S/H market. Of course somebody obliging me with a rear-shunt write-off might change that timescale!
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Renewables provided 30% of UK leccy in qtr 2.

Renewables sets new UK record despite stagnating solar deployment
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    What do you call a 2MWp PV farm, that's on the demand side?

United Utilities plans solar car ports at Warrington headquarters

Imagine if all businesses with large carparks installed something like this, we'd be talking multi GWp of new PV capacity.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Some very promising news regarding AGW. Pointing to the benefits from demand side investment/spending.

Huge private sector investment puts Paris climate target in reach, says report
    Global investment could hold the key to fighting climate change, with one trillion dollars already invested in solutions such as renewables and energy efficiency, says International Finance Corporation
    The IFC report, entitled Creating Markets for Climate Business, found that governments could work with businesses by fostering renewable energy as an alternative to fossil fuels.
    Making buildings more energy efficient could also reduce carbon emissions dramatically, according to the IFC report, but only if countries adopt better building codes and higher standards.

So what did the UK do, slash support for demand side leccy generation, and reduce the building codes one year short of completion. Ho hum!

• Martyn1981
    Options
    Well blow me down!

European Wind Industry Sets New Record Inching Toward Meeting 25% Of Demand
    WindEurope, the European wind energy trade body, published the record-breaking news on Tuesday, revealing that 24.6% of the European Union’s (EU) electricity demand was powered by wind on Saturday the 28th of October, the highest percentage yet recorded and eclipsing the previous record of 19.9% set earlier in the month on the 7th.

Unsurprisingly the demand was met primarily with onshore wind, which accounted for 21.8%, while offshore wind energy represented 2.8%.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    On shore wind farm in Germany with some interesting stats.

It has the tallest towers.
    The extra height improves efficiency / capacity factor, so 34% v's 20-30%.
    The 13.6MW farm also has 70MWh of pumped hydro capacity built into the towers.

World’s tallest wind turbine built in Germany

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback