Aircon issue

Options
Richard53
Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
New to me Golf Plus, 2006 and 70k miles. Has aircon, but not climate control - dial for hot/cold plus 4-speed fan and ECON button to switch aircon off.

I think the aircon is not working. Even turning the heat dial to minimum, the air coming out is still warm. In addition, the car has a serious misting problem on cold mornings, even though there is no evidence of water ingress or damp carpets etc. My Mondeo had excellent aircon, and could pump out ice cold air as well as demisting the screen in seconds, so I am guessing the issues are related.

What is the first step to fixing this? Start with a regas, or are there any basic checks to be made to identify the problem?

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but in all my previous cars with aircon, it just worked without any input from me. All I did was leave it on 24/7/52 and it never went wrong, so I have no experience of any problems.
If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.

Comments

• oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2018 at 9:54AM
    Options
    I would initially suspect it's low on gas. Low system pressure will not allow compressor to engage.
    If you can locate the compressor check if the clutch is engaging when the a.c. and interior fan is on. If not it could either be a low gas or control issue.

I would go for a re-gas but have a vacuum pulled on the system to determine if there are any leaks first, i.e. vacuum will not hold. Or maybe a re-gas containing ultra violet leak detecting dye which will show up any leak(s) using a u.v. light.
    However, is the air "warm" or outside ambient? If it is warm it could even be an air distribution problem?
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    First thing I would do (on any new to me car) is replace the cabin filter, so often this is left out of the service schedule on older cars.

Next step is to take it to somewhere that will do a proper re-gas job - they will remove the existing gas and check for vacuum as part of that process. If it is leaking, a reputable place will refuse to fill it and probably not charge you.

If they can’t pressurise it, at that age and value of car fixing it may not be economic - good aircon companies are few and far between and it can be a slow process to find the fault. Don’t know about the Golf, but on some cars, you have to do some serious dismantling to get at the evaporator.

If they can refill it and the aircon is no better, then as mentioned above, check the compressor and clutch.
  • Richard53
    Options
    I would initially suspect it's low on gas. Low system pressure will not allow compressor to engage.
    Makes sense, thanks.

However, is the air "warm" or outside ambient? If it is warm it could even be an air distribution problem?
    I was wondering this. Even at quite a low temp setting the air is uncomfortably warm after a few miles. Fine in November, not so good next June! Perhaps something jammed in the air distribution system. Have Haynes, will investigate.
    Apodemus wrote: »
    First thing I would do (on any new to me car) is replace the cabin filter, so often this is left out of the service schedule on older cars.
    If they can refill it and the aircon is no better, then as mentioned above, check the compressor and clutch.
    A new pollen filter is on the schedule. Replacing it on the Mondeo cured a lot of misting and wet dog smells. It was full of dead leaves and soaking wet. On the Golf the filter is in the interior (behind the glove box) so I would think it wasn't as prone to filling up with rubbish, but I plan to renew it anyway.

Thanks for the advice guys.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes aircon condensers are damaged by stone chips, especially if they are mounted low down.. They can be repaired, but a new condenser shouldn't break the bank.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Richard53
    Options
    I have no idea where things are in the engine bay yet, as I have only had the car a couple of weeks. However, have Haynes, will investigate. Cheers.
  • reddwarf2002
    Options
    There is a common fault with air flap motor which means the air does not get mixed properly.
  • Richard53
    Options
    There is a common fault with air flap motor which means the air does not get mixed properly.
    That's useful info, ta.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure