Charged for keeping BT youview box?

Options
Hi

BT have put a message on my online account that I need to return the youview box because I’ve cancelled my contract. I’ve had two one year contracts and am not exiting early. Tried webchat but they couldn’t compute it at all. The message says ‘return your equipment by 11 jan or you will be charged’.

It’s a bit scary, I cancelled because I’m skint, does anyone know if they can charge me?

Thanks

B

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, you won't be if you return it.
  • bunny73
    bunny73 Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My question is if I don’t return it are they able to charge me? I’ve read elsewhere that people have kept the box as a freeview box when they have come out of a contract.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2018 at 9:22PM
    Options
    I had the same with O2 a few years back - they sent me a pre-paid posting bag when I cancelled, have BT offered or sent something similar?

[edit] Yes they can charge you if the contract stated that the kit is theirs and must be returned at end of contract
  • bunny73
    Options
    On the online account they say they have but I haven’t received it.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    So you are actually asking if you can keep it - a slightly different emphasis.

Mr Google says you can if you are out of contract, but not if you cancelled early.

Check wit BT to be sure.
  • bunny73
    Options
    Thank you both, I will check the contract and call them in the morning. I was thinking that if a charge could be applied they would have raised that as leverage when I called to end the service.

They have also mistakenly charged me for a tv service for the period I’ve cancelled and I apparently also ordered a wireless extender kit to be delivered this coming week, that I didn’t order at all.

So I have a few different things to sort out with them!

Thanks again
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Its simple if you take out a contract for say 12 months inc TV box then at the end of the 12 months the box is yours . Cancel a week before and you pay .
    You should use your BT members community forum if problems .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure