New double glazing-plasterer or DG company to finish job?

Just had new DG installed but the bay window has proven a problem.

The plaster on the ceiling of the bay area has perished and the DG team said they cannot finish trimming everything until we get that redone. Likewise on one of the walls to the side of the window.

DG team assured us everything would be insulated but we'd need a plasterer to finish the job.

I accept that new windows can result in plaster disturbance but I'd thought the window surveyor would have picked up on this especially as we informed him of the plaster problem when he did a site survey.

We're now left with a bay window where you can hear the cars driving past our house as if we have a window open and there is a definite draft coming in from the top of the frame and the side although the DG assured us that everything will be insulated and the plasterer only has to "finish off".

It has unnerved us as we assumed the DG team would ensure the windows were insulated properly but now we have to rely on a plasterer to ensure our windows are properly fitted and insulated and I can see us being caught in the middle if any problems pop up.

Does this sound "normal"?
No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The DG company should have told you what work would fall under their remit and what wouldn't. I would expect and minor damage to surrounding plasterwork to be sorted by them, but anything major like large patches of plaster falling off would need to be addressed by a plasterer.
    When we had our bay done they said when they were pricing the job that any movement in the bay ceiling or roof would be outside their responsibility.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've just had a DG window replaced with a window of different size. The quotes from the two companies I asked to provide them both included making good the plaster around the new window. However, I had this discussion with them when going over the job with their surveyor. I'm surprised your surveyor didn't ask you this question when you pointed out the issue.

Both quotes I received also said the final price may be higher if any structural issues arose during installation.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    spiritus wrote: »
    DG team assured us everything would be insulated but we'd need a plasterer to finish the job.

The DG installer will just squirt a bit of expanding foam in to any smallish gaps and cover it with some plastic trim. Whilst the room is in a bit of a mess, now would be a good time to bite the bullet and put some proper insulation in the roof space above the bay.
    I'm assuming it is just a ground floor bay with either a flat roof or pitched tiles, in which case, removing the ceiling to insert insulation is probably the easiest way to go. Material costs won't be very high, and a plasterer would charge you day rate regardless of the amount of work needed. While you have the ceiling down, you'll have a chance to inspect the quality of the DG installation and seal any gaps between frame and timbers.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure