School children smoking weed on mum's property

Options
Hi all,
Apologies if this is the wrong forum but seemed the most fitting. My mum lives in a block of flats which has a private carpark and allocated parking. Unfortunately, for the past year or so, teenagers from the local school have been using the carpark during lunchtimes and after school to stand and smoke weed, often to drink alcohol. There are several groups that do this, and they can be quite intimidating. They leave rubbish and paraphernalia behind, and my mum's car has been broken into during the winter where a group of boys have smoked weed in the car and left the car in a mess. This has become a daily occurrence and is affecting how safe both my mum and I feel in the flat. We have contacted the police on 101 and they've told us they can't really do anything. We've also contacted the school and kept a log. My mum has also taken pictures of the teenagers but I don't encourage this as I don't think it's a good idea for her to be seen. Is there anything else that can be done or do we just have to accept this? It seems unfair that we should have to deal with groups of teenagers hanging around the property and leaving their cr*p behind, shouting abuse at residents but I'm at the end of my tether trying to get this sorted. Would really appreciate your insights, thank you.

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have a chat with your local MP. With the election coming up it may be that he/she can put pressure in the "right places"and get something done.
    At least it is worth a try as you have nothing to loose by giving it a go.

Good luck :0)
  • jenberry
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    I would have a chat with your local MP. With the election coming up it may be that he/she can put pressure in the "right places"and get something done.
    At least it is worth a try as you have nothing to loose by giving it a go.

Good luck :0)

Thank you! This is something I haven't considered, and will certainly give it a shot!
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    jenberry wrote: »
    Thank you! This is something I haven't considered, and will certainly give it a shot!

Unfortunately you'll have to wait until 13th December as at the moment there are no MPs just Prospective Parliamentary Candidates
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you still have a local paper? If so, it could be the sort of thing they would feature. Also, your local councillors should be involved, as well as your MP (who may be a bit busy for the next few weeks).

But I don't see why your local police aren't taking action. If, as you say, these kids are drinking alcohol and smoking dope, they are breaking the law.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Who manages the flats and car park? They may be able to be more proactive: it won't help the appeal of the properties.

Definitely worth talking to your local councillors, and I would see if you have a PCSO or local beat officer. Go into the local police station and just ask how the area is policed.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    CCTV cameras
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Honestly, I would just move

The police these days can't or won't act. I have no faith in our justice system these days or the law
    With love, POSR <3
  • jenberry
    Options
    chesky wrote: »
    Do you still have a local paper? If so, it could be the sort of thing they would feature. Also, your local councillors should be involved, as well as your MP (who may be a bit busy for the next few weeks).

But I don't see why your local police aren't taking action. If, as you say, these kids are drinking alcohol and smoking dope, they are breaking the law.

Thank you. I will have a look into the local councillors. The local police (on 101) say that as they aren't committing a crime as such, they can't do anything. I thought smoking weed was a crime but what do I know?! They are very hesitant to come out and do anything about it.
  • jenberry
    Options
    paddedjohn wrote: »
    CCTV cameras

We tried that but it would incur significant cost to the residents and about 25% weren't willing to pay. So we installed faux CCTV and the teenagers ripped them down within a day.
  • jenberry
    Options
    Honestly, I would just move

The police these days can't or won't act. I have no faith in our justice system these days or the law

I'm with you on that. It's actually my mum's house and she's reluctant to move as it's very central for everything she needs. I guess in time, if nothing is done about it, she possibly will leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure