Has anyone used a Mr. Venty Envirovent PIV System?

Options
Hey everyone,

I've got massive damp in my bedroom and bathroom. I live in a tenement flat (circa 1900) and the way they were built is they put a bathroom in much later (50's maybe). In the bathroom there are no windows and there's a extractor fan but it's in the shower which is a massive health and safety risk, thankfully it's broken

So whenever I have a shower all the steam has nowhere to go, so it just comes out into the bedroom. I've had people out to look at it and they advise the extractor fan is in "Zone Zero" which means they couldn't install anything there. They're looking at getting a PIV put in and the model is a Mr. Venty from Envirovent. The cost is going to be £1200 and envirovent are convinced it'll take all the steam and water in the air and suck it right out, and it'll also extract all the damp from the walls. Which makes sense as it's a condensation issue

I don't mind paying that much if it works. Just looking to find out if anyone has one of these or has used one before and how they would rate them?

I wish there was another cheaper way, but sadly one of these is really my only option

Thanks

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 November 2019 at 1:06AM
    Options
    Zone 0 is the actual shower tray so it makes sense that you can't immerse an extractor fan in water! The area above the shower is Zone 1.

There are extractors you can use above a shower so I don't know why you're being told that you can't. We're always using a combination extractor with LED spot light.

I'm not sure which one our guy uses, but here's an example from a respected brand.
    https://www.vent-axia.com/range/led-luminair-fan-light-ventilation-kit

You want one that will sense humidity and stay on after you've turned the light out until the levels drop.

Your problem is a lack of ventilation. I don't know how PIV can work if there's nowhere for the air to escape to. The I stands for "input" so it isn't going to extract, the idea is that it pulls air in. You still need to extract at a certain rate. You need to get the air out, you need some passive ventilation like trickle vents or an open/vented fireplace if you're in a character property, not necessarily these units that pull air in.

Air in via passive ventilation, air out via extraction at your cooker and bathroom. Then you need to keep the place warm and preferably insulated. That's the long term, permanent solution - allowing the property to do what it is supposed to - breath.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not sure about that make but we have a Nuaire Drimaster system and we haven't had any condensation since it was installed.

Our issue wasn't from a bathroom as we just open a window after a shower, but usually on bedroom windows there was really bad condensation in the colder months.

With this new system there is none.

It cost us around £1000 to install
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family