greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A busy household never stops...I bet there's always something happening!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy mse birthday greent :D eight years is such a long time (I'm eight years here too this month!) it must be very strange reading it back, I might have a go too this week - although reading about when the kids were much younger might be a bit sad! :o

I hope your ds's 18th goes well :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    8 years wow how good is that and just look what you have achieved over that time ,i love reading diaries they are so inspiring ,im now going to start reading through yours from the beginning .
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Happy MSE birthday greent!

The indoor egg hunt sounds amazing, never mind just for the younger two.

Wow, they grow up fast, huh? Has he got plans for the big day?
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I know what you mean. The hols are flying here too in a whirl of revision, movie watching, long walks and lots of food...really needed the rest so a week off work has been very welcome. But think energy levels ebb and flow. Dont beat yourself up for having some screen time ;) :rotfl:

I am planning some decluttering over the next few weeks...whole house could do with a spring clean. Also no more weekly cleaner so money in my pocket but does mean we will all have to muck in!

We used to have a cleaner - and I've debated it since, but I can't really justify it on a time-basis unless it's full on exam season - although this year I have DD back from uni mid May, so she can help!

Decluttering is always needed here! :rotfl:
    A busy household never stops...I bet there's always something happening!

Generally, yes - although most is just day-to-day busy-ness :)
    newgirly wrote: »
    Happy mse birthday greent :D eight years is such a long time (I'm eight years here too this month!) it must be very strange reading it back, I might have a go too this week - although reading about when the kids were much younger might be a bit sad! :o

I hope your ds's 18th goes well :)

Thanks, ng!
    Re-reading is a bit weird in places - but nostalgic in a way (even if it was only 8 years ago - a lot has changed in that time!)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent
    Options
    try_harder wrote: »
    8 years wow how good is that and just look what you have achieved over that time ,i love reading diaries they are so inspiring ,im now going to start reading through yours from the beginning .

Ooh - don't feel you need to - it's a bit self-indulgent in places - and highly repetitive in others! :o
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Happy MSE birthday greent!

The indoor egg hunt sounds amazing, never mind just for the younger two.

Wow, they grow up fast, huh? Has he got plans for the big day?

Not really, michelle - it's a Sunday, so not much happening. We'll go out for food the day before (his choice to do so - and his place of choice) and then on the day we'll have visitors, of course.
    We may do something more for it in May half term - although he will be in the middle of exams it will break up the week.
    He's a pretty low-key person, in general.
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been musing over the whole re reading my own diary, and i haven't brought myself to do it...yet. My diary has been 3 yrs, so perhaps not quite enough to be too nostalgic?? Its a shame the forum/system/software isn't able to send you a daily email with "your posts from 1yr, 2yr, 3yr ago" etc... In the same way Facebook does the timehop thing (I'm a social media account free zone so not sure if that is what its called).
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • greent
    Options
    Been musing over the whole re reading my own diary, and i haven't brought myself to do it...yet. My diary has been 3 yrs, so perhaps not quite enough to be too nostalgic?? Its a shame the forum/system/software isn't able to send you a daily email with "your posts from 1yr, 2yr, 3yr ago" etc... In the same way Facebook does the timehop thing (I'm a social media account free zone so not sure if that is what its called).

I've not re-read mine before - and haven't finished doing so yet :) A timehop/ your memories/ on this day thing could be interesting - not sure I'd want a daily email, but a feature you could access if you wanted to, maybe. Would cost, though - and definitely a 'nice to' as opposed to a need/ help for money saving.

Woke to another bid on fleabay - this one may net me around £70 if I've got my calculations correct :T (We'll ignore the fact that the actual item cost £330 and was used maybe half a dozen times.... but as the last time was before DS3 was born (he's 9 next month) it's clearly not required! - :rotfl: - so much better to get it out (It's actually quite large) and the money in :D

I am looking forward to later in the year when OH's car and the 0% CCs are paid off - can then stick extra money like this on the BTL.

(Although OH's car is conspiring against us, potentially, at the mo - warning lights came on last night, so he has renewed his breakdown cover (well, with a new provider) and is contacting the garage this morning. The lights came on back in Nov and it cost us £1000 to get it sorted, from memory.)
  • greent
    Options
    So.... 5 items finish on flebay today - 4 of which have bids totalling £84.50 :T (and have an £80 bid on another item which ends sometime next week) Net proceeds will go to OH's CC (o/s bal when bill arrives in around 10 days should be £900, from memory - and I have £150 set aside already. Not looking to clear it this month (it's on 0%, ending in July) but maybe next month - definitely the month after at the latest. I have some more items to list on t'bay (mainly DS3's decluttering of toys, so no financial benefit for me) which I'll aim to do once they are back at school next week :)

We have an appointment (here) with an IFA tomorrow morning, mainly to discuss pensions. Our DB pension schemes from our banking days have a joint transfer value of just over £900K - but as well as the guaranteed pension amounts there are also pensions payable to the children aged under 23, should anything happen to us. As the children range in age from 20 down to 8yo this is something to take serious note of. It will be good to get a professional opinion on some points, and as OH used to work with the guy (in banking) he's not just some random person :) I believe (OH arranged it) that this first appointment is free :)

A bits n pieces kind of day today - took DS2 for haircut at the local barbers (much nicer to be in than where OH takes him) and DD has just nabbed my car to take herself to a hair appointment (I believe the first one ever that she'll have paid for herself!) Have also baked a brown seedy loaf, a white loaf, a lemon Victoria sponge (just need the 2 halves to finish cooling before I sandwich them together) and a sheet of chocolate cookies :) However, I have absolutely no idea what to make for dinner! :D Am now just going to do an hour of ironing to Holby on catch up whilst the 2 smallest are playing :) 2 loads of washing also done

Company accounts are all reconciled for the accountant. I just need to download and print the summary monthly bills for the phones for the year- it's such a faff that I do it all at once, rather than each month. I can then take them over to the accountant later this month - along with our personal tax paperwork (will need to get that all up together first!) We've taken quite a chunk out this year (mainly for things like the kitchen) as OH has been working for all of it. Still have some directors loan monies left in, though :T Undecided whether to leave it in or take out and *do* *something* with it....

Car in garage yesterday - some small tweaks made for free as it was done in Nov - yeay! :) OH has gone to Maidenhead today, so hopefully all is ok......
  • greent
    Options
    Ooh - also forgot that we've switched energy suppliers - DD has increased by only £2/ mth (best deal on current provider was £12/mth) and we've gone through tcb, of course :)

Both car insurances are due 1st May, so we're now comparing prices on those (although DS1 has his driving test this month, so I will add him to mine if he passes...)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure