greent's mfw journey

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Expected..as she focussed on making revision materials not the mocks), but even so, its game on now. She is still working and doing DoE and volunteering, but she wants to do more than just study. I am not sure she always has the balance right, but she also has a view and I need to let her find her own way, shes a sound judgement about things usually so am content to let her try and juggle. So suspect our kids are in the same boat in Y13 with some younger ones too..although think your son has applied for uni? My DD is waiting until she knows her results. Assume thats on 16 August? Need to check... (yes it is...fingers and toes crossed for all of them...)

Have a great weekend x

Yes - DS1 is in Y13 and has applied for uni - I think he'll be taking a year out, though - I have a feeling he'll need to resit one subject to pull the grade up to the required level. Not a major issue if he does, though - and he can get some work experience in at the same time when not going in for lessons (have already had a quick word with 1 member of staff at school - will also run it past the head of VIth form next time I'm in (it's one of the schools where I invigilate) It will also mean that DD will have finished uni by the time DS1 goes off if he delays - not sure if that's good re: costs or not!

I feel for current students - the pressures seem so much harder than when I was at school. The scramble for uni places seems for intense, too :( I work results day - handing out their results - it's at one of the local grammars, so the results are *generally* good - but not always....
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • greent
    Options
    michelle09 wrote: »
    Sounds good. :) Hopefully DD still has work to cover her during the strikes?

She's had some work - but not from everyone. She was in today, though - for the first time in 4 weeks (combination of strikes/ timetable/ reading week/ closure due to snow) So hopefully things will improve - although she finishes this semester this Friday for 3 weeks Easter break! :D
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
  • greent
    Options
    Snowy day yesterday - so the boys and OH had a snowball fight and built a snowman :snow_grin:snow_laug - I had a lie in and by the time I'd had breakfast, a shower and then dried my hair (no way was I going out with wet hair!) they were basically ready to come back in. More snow overnight, but not much - although it did make the roads out to the main road rather slippery this morning.... Work was also very cold in the exam hall - poor students. We were all really cold - my nose was pink and kept running!

Not much else happening here - it's that quiet mid-month time.
    x
  • greent
    Options
    Ooh - edging closer towards payday!

Spent the afternoon with sister and baby (5 months tomorrow - where does the time go! :eek) - very pleasant - and when DS1 and DS3 came back from school they had fun playing with baby and making him laugh (baby belly chuckles are so cute! <3) DS2 missed him, as he gets back an hour later and she had to get back home. However, she's coming back over with baby in a couple of weeks as all 3 boys will be off school, and DD will be back from uni (she's coming home tonight for 3 weeks) He is a very cute chunky monkey! :)

I am definitely looking forward to the Easter hols - good weather would be nice, but I plan on getting DS2 and DS3's bedrooms blitzed over the break anyway, so it's not essential (although a couple of days out somewhere outside would be nice) I'd also like to sort the garage out - but that will only be done if the weather if dry and mild :) AM looking forward to having a clearout in there - I know there's at least 1 big item to sell which I currently can't get to :(

Money wise - still not much to report. Am debating whether to squeeze in a dividend payment from OH's co before the end of the tax year, so I need to have a look at all the figures and check that out. We've certainly got the money in the co, but I don't want it to affect DD's student finance for this year or next (both of which are being based on this year's figures) - may be better to wait until later next month... decisions, decisions! :)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aww, that's so nice with the baby!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • michelle09
    michelle09 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds good. :) Hopefully things will have warmed up by Easter.
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you are having a great Easter greent xx
  • greent
    Options
    Ooops - I started a post the other day and then the laptop froze and I never came back :(

Easter is very relaxed so far. DD has been back since the evening of 23rd but is going to boyf's house tomorrow until Fri evening (dogsitting - his parents are away) DS1's gf was here today. Lovely lamb dinner yesterday, followed by huge chocolate-y gateau - lots of leftovers of both bits to eat up in the coming days :D House is awash with chocolate. We had an indoor egg hunt, due to the weather - which the smaller 2 really enjoyed :) They've built a robot arm thing (Xmas present) and have been playing with that and have got a couple of other smaller things out (gifts) to build/ make/ experiment with over the hols. DS1 needs to crack on with revision (has revision sessions at school tomorrow and Weds afternoons) and I need to check what homework DS2 has for the hols (DS3 only has reading, and we're doing that at an easy chapter a day) OH is off to Maidenhead tomorrow for work - back Thurs evening.

I've gone through DS2 and DS3's wardrobes/ c-o-ds with them and all clothes have been tried on/ vetted for approval/ checked for wear. Large number of items removed from both rooms, so I need to get boxes down from the loft (well, get DS1 to get the boxes down :D) and see if I can fill any gaps from there before compiling a list of things to buy! About a carrier bagful of items for fabric recycling (about half was lots of socks!), 1 item for school 'spares', couple of items to CS and about a large carrier put aside for NNS sale (end of May) Some items obviously also put aside from DS2's room to go to DS3's room at some point (assuming DS3 approves of them at that time...) Next on the agenda is tackling the rest of their rooms..... argh! They are super messy atm :(

I've started reading my diary back from the beginning - gosh! - I was so motivated and full of energy back then!! It was my 8 year diary birthday a week ago, which is what prompted me. Some bits are bittersweet but it's a worthwhile exercise. It has galvanised me into listing half a dozen more costly items on fleabay tonight :) (well, getting basics on there to ensure I've made a promotion deadline- will fill in more details on them tomorrow) It's also made me think about how 'jaded' I can be nowadays - I am going to try to be more jolly :) I also think that I have gotten quite lazy - I used to achieve far more with my time - so I am planning on less mse/ blogs/ general internet/ candy crush (shhh) time.... should hopefully mean I am more productive elsewhere! :)
    x

ooh yes - forgot - granite has sold and was collected today - money paid off OH's (0%) CC :T - which is where any other flebay funds will be heading for the next few months....
  • greent
    Options
    So we're almost halfway through the hols already! Time is flying! DD is currently in Wales, coming back tomorrow evening on the train, so just need to collect her from there :) OH is back tonight.

Today's plans are another half hour each with the smaller 2 in their rooms, getting the boxes of things packed up for the NNS into the garage loft (DS1 will be going up there, I'm just passing boxes), more ironing (never ending this week!), homework/ revision for all 3 boys, baking (bread) and getting the done ironing put away. A family game (just myself and the boys) may also be on the agenda. Oh - and a quick supermarket trip, as we are down to our last 6 pints of milk! :eek :D That and fiddling with my flebay listings should just about see me done for the day :)

DS1's 18th birthday is soon. I have *most* of his presents (just need to collect one from town), the cake is ordered (need to collect from town the day before) but I would like to find something unusual and quirky too - may have a womble around t'bay and see what I can find :)
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    I know what you mean. The hols are flying here too in a whirl of revision, movie watching, long walks and lots of food...really needed the rest so a week off work has been very welcome. But think energy levels ebb and flow. Dont beat yourself up for having some screen time ;) :rotfl:

I am planning some decluttering over the next few weeks...whole house could do with a spring clean. Also no more weekly cleaner so money in my pocket but does mean we will all have to muck in!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback