Help with costs for burying BT phone line

Options
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me?

We have paid to have our electricity supply buried because the pole is in our garden where our kids play.

Our phone line is also on the pole (which is owned by our electricity company).

Before payment I spoke to openreach twice to ask advice regarding getting the phone line buried in the same trench.

Twice I was advised that the electricity company should contact openreach direct and say they are taking the pole down. I was told that it would be at openreach's cost and I didn't have to get invovled or pay.

As soon as the electricity was buried, the elecricity company sent an official notice to quit to the email I was advised.

However openreach are now saying this work is chargable as I have requested the pole is taken down.

We have not budgeted for this, so now I have paid a fortunte to have a trench dug and elecricity buried but still have the pole in my garden with the phone line on!

Please can anyone advise me what to do here as it seems my only options are to pay up (we can't afford it), or leave it there or have no phone line!

Thank you in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Leave it there then, I presume it was the overhead electric cable that you were concerned with mostly.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Leave it there then, I presume it was the overhead electric cable that you were concerned with mostly.

I think the pole was in the way rather than a radiation risk.

Burying would increase that risk (if it existed) rather than decrease it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure