Timing belt

Options
TOm
TOm Posts: 2 Newbie
Hi All.
I really need to get some advise as I’m in a middle of buying a car, which in a very good condition 4 years old but has done 86651miles. This is a Volvo v40 D2. I’ve done some research on it prior and decided to get it. Its has a “full service history” which again. When I called Volvo and ask them for the history they was only able to see the first 3 service up until 32000 miles. No more. The guy said its may have been take to a Volvo authorised Garage so he wont be able to see the rest. But they told me that car Timing belt is coming up at 87500. So 900miles. Unfortunately no mention in the sevice booklet its been done so I assume it hasn't been done. Can I request the dealer to change it prior selling it to me?if they agree to do it what precautions shall I take. ? Or I have to do it but again.. £700 to do the service...
Thanks

Comments

• jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can request anything you like.
    He can refuse anything he likes.

In any case, would you trust him to actually do the work?
  • TOm
    TOm Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I would trust them as they have a very good reviews 5* on autotrader so I would say yes, but what if... big dilemma tho...
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ...or it may not have been serviced at all for the last 60k miles+.

Is it a 1.6 diesel? Same unit as in Ford and Peugeot-Citroen cars (and a few others), and it has a reputation for REALLY not tolerating shoddy maintenance. You wouldn't catch me anywhere near that engine without a watertight service history.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should assume that it has not been done, and you should also assume that if you ask the dealer to change it before they sell the car, they will fit the nastiest, cheapest timing belt they can find. Pay a garage you trust to fit a genuine Volvo belt.

The five star reviews on Autotrader don't mean a thing.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would use it as a bargaining tool and get it done after purchase.
  • Begsey
    Begsey Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    Last two cars I've bought for myself, I asked the trader and they done it before I picked the cars up.
    I paid the asking price for the cars though, as I felt they were keenly priced already.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Begsey wrote: »
    Last two cars I've bought for myself, I asked the trader and they done it before I picked the cars up.
    I paid the asking price for the cars though, as I felt they were keenly priced already.

..and you believed them? :rotfl:
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    TOm wrote: »
    I would trust them as they have a very good reviews 5* on autotrader so I would say yes, but what if... big dilemma tho...

I would take online reviews with an iceberg of salt.

Who honestly writes reviews about car dealers?
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    are you sure the timing belt change is due that early. My V50 which had a 2l engine was 120000 or 10 yrs old. Mums Citroen C3 1.6 HDI 10 years 120000m
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the OP has one of the engines covered by this:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20151010071913/http://workshopsupportguide.volvocars.biz/media/21317/vida_release_news_2014b_41en37_ir.pdf
    then it is about 87,000 miles.
    Replacement interval for timing belt kit
    The replacement interval for timing belt kit on D4162T (84) has been changed to 140 000 km.
    This affects the following variants: C30, S40 (04-), V40 (13-), V40 Cross Country, V50, S60 (11-), V60, S80 (07-) and V70 (08-) from model year 2011 and forward, which have adapted service programs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure