nhs psnalty charge

Options
My husband is disabled and is receiving income related ESA and PIP. and i dont work as i look after my husband and receive Carers allowance. I was intending to fill in the HC1 form for free prescription however it states clearly that i do not need to fill it in as my husband is in receipt of the qualifying benefit. now i have been asked to pay a penalty charge for a prescription. i have contacted NHS and appealed against the decision and sent them my husbands benefit award but it has been refused because it is in his name and not mine and now i have been asked to pay the penalty by the 28/05/2018. We are in a very low income and i have now filled in the HC1 form to avoid further penalties. i would be grateful for any advice as i do not feel i did anything wrong ,
thanks in advance

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Iv it states clearly that he doesmt have to pay why is he having tonpay a fine.

Tru appealing again on that ground but in his name
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Dixi
    Dixi Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was in exactly the same position as yourself and claimed prescriptions, dental and opticians and this never happened. I was concerned that it would and tried with no avail to get a letter from the DWP stating my derived entitlement. Fortunately, we had had the same dentists etc for many years and they never queried my entitlement. Maybe the DWP would provide you with proof. Good luck.
  • Madina
    Madina Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks Dixi will try and get proof from DWP and appeal again
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May 2018 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Madina wrote: »
    My husband is disabled and is receiving income related ESA and PIP. and i dont work as i look after my husband and receive Carers allowance. I was intending to fill in the HC1 form for free prescription however it states clearly that i do not need to fill it in as my husband is in receipt of the qualifying benefit. now i have been asked to pay a penalty charge for a prescription. i have contacted NHS and appealed against the decision and sent them my husbands benefit award but it has been refused because it is in his name and not mine and now i have been asked to pay the penalty by the 28/05/2018. We are in a very low income and i have now filled in the HC1 form to avoid further penalties. i would be grateful for any advice as i do not feel i did anything wrong ,
    thanks in advance
    Why aren't you claiming ESA as a couple? As you don't work you should be claiming as couple. Just because your husband gets free prescriptions doens't mean you will too because you're not claiming ESA as couple. Based on the ESA claim alone won't allow you free NHS treatment.
  • Madina
    Madina Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    hi poppy we are claiming as a couple and my husband did declare me on the application form but the letters and communication come under his name
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    hi poppy we are claiming as a couple and my husband did declare me on the application form but the letters and communication come under his name
    I would advice you to double check that you're claiming as a couple. He should be the main claimant, with you added. If you were added then you shouldn't have had the fine.

Which group is he in for ESA and how much per week does he receive? If we have this info then we'll be able to tell you if it's a joint claim.
  • Vickimichelle
    Vickimichelle Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options

If you phone the DWP & explain they will send you out a letter with both names on.
  • wellynever
    wellynever Posts: 908 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you phone the DWP & explain they will send you out a letter with both names on.

This is what you need to do each year, we do this as my partner is never mentioned in letters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure