Holiday abroad Universal Credits

Options
I want to take and pay for a weeks holiday to my mate. He is on UC, he has been told he can go on holiday, but not abroad. It's only for a week, but it looks like he can't go?

Is this true? He is not trying to bend the rules. He has had a rough time of late and needs a holiday. If he 'signs off' I understand it's a real pain to get things sorted out again.

This is not a case of some workshy guy claiming benefits and living the life of Riley whilst the state pays. He a mate needs help and a holiday.:beer:

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This is what I can find

However, if a claimant chooses to go on holiday in Great Britain or abroad
    they must continue to carry out the work-related requirements as set out on their Claimant
    Commitment.

No allowances are made within the conditionality regime for claimants going on holiday. For
    example claimants within the All Work-Related Requirements Group with no restrictions on
    their availability will still be expected to be immediately available to attend a job interview or
    take up an offer of employment, even if this means cutting short a holiday. They are also
    required to attend their normal appointments and failure to do so will incur a sanction.

Being on holiday would not be considered by a DWP Decision Maker as good reason for not
    carrying out any work search or availability requirements.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/298762/response/727736/attach/html/2/FOI%204569%20reply.pdf.html

Obviously attending any interview would be easier if in the UK rather than abroad.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As already advised, providing they meet the claimant commitment, nothing stopping them having a holiday for a week.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Hardly_Quim
    Hardly_Quim Posts: 19 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many thanks, maybe if he asked his 'handler' and shown them the link above they may well 'authorise' the holiday. Better to be honest in this situation.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can be out of the country for upto 28 days as long as you continue to comply with your commitments.

Obviously I would get them to let their work coach know so they dont miss an appointment whilst away and face a sanction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure