Changing Road Tax from Disabled to Private? (DVLA Offices don't exist anymore! )

Options
katesheet
katesheet Posts: 216 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 10 July 2014 at 10:56PM in Disability money matters

Disabled Vehicles?- UNdisabling it? (so it is registered as NON disabled ? )

If a vehicle is registered as disabled, then what is the process to registered it as a NON disabled vehicle?

So from a disabled vehicle, the procedure to make it registered as non disabled.

as I am sure some peoples healths have got better, and they have come OFF DLA, as they have improved, so would no longer be registered as disabled

- so what is the procedure to Undisable a currently disable registered vehicle?

What forms would be needed, to be filled in ?

I don't mean a leased motability vehicle, but a owned one which is registered by the owner as a disabled vehicle.

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July 2014 at 11:28PM
    Options
    The car (even if modified) is merely leased to the disabled person, after returning the vehicle to the lease company, it is generally sold on.

This link might help - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/motors/selling-cars.htm
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    The car (even if modified) is merely leased to the disabled person, after returning the vehicle to the lease company, it is generally sold on.

This link might help - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/motors/selling-cars.htm

Think the op is on about the vehicle tax exemption not the mobility scheme.

To the op - I would call the dvla, they would be able to advise their number appears to be 0300 790 6802. I would assume that if a renewal has not come through (as would think it would tell you then how to do it) you would call the dvla and they would advise(might even take it over the phone).
  • schpdoinkle
    Options
    The form you need is a V62. Most post offices have them.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Vehicle Excise Duty [VED]

If you are / have ceased to be in receipt of DLA / or / if you sell the vehicle or your entitlement ends, you should return the disabled tax disc to [Tel : 0300 790 6802] DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AL. The original VED exemption was granted on a DLA404 form or what is now known as a Certificate of Entitlement was issued as a result of being on HRM or PIP, if the entitlement has now ceased you need to inform the DWP on : 0845 712 3456.

NOTE01: If the entitlement has ceased the DWP will cancel the Certificate of Entitlement anyway and anyone driving the vehicle after the cancellation date would be held liable. Hope this helps.

NOTE02 : A V62 is a vehicle registration certificate, a different thing, nothing to do with tax VED or otherwise.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In order to change the vehicle class from Disabled to Private (PLG) you need to take the V5 to your local DVLA office. They will change the class there and then and if you need to tax the vehicle normally you can do that at the same time.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »
    In order to change the vehicle class from Disabled to Private (PLG) you need to take the V5 to your local DVLA office. They will change the class there and then and if you need to tax the vehicle normally you can do that at the same time.

HiYa dori2o,

All 39 DVLA local offices are scheduled for closure by the end of Dec 2013 to end of Jan 2014. Here are the now defunct local office [direct] phone numbers..
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    https://www.gov.uk/exchange-tax-disc - form V70 seems to me to be the one to use?

Class change from Disabled/Exempt to whatever is appropriate for the vehicle concerned?
  • harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    Options
    dori2o wrote: »

WRONG INFO.

LVLO's are closed and change of tax class is now done at the post Office.
  • katesheet
    katesheet Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    WRONG INFO.

LVLO's are closed and change of tax class is now done at the post Office.

Thnx

So you can go to a Post office, to change the tax of a vehicle from a Disabled vehicle to private, at the PO?

Do they do it right there, and then?
    and what paper documents need to also been bought in by the customer?

How about letting DVLA know?

How long will DVLA take to update their details.

as it will now be private, does a private disc have to be purchased on the spot?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As not all POs do car tax, you won't be able to go to just any PO. It tends to be the larger branches but I'm pretty sure their website will let you search for those which do.

I imagine they'd issue the new tax disc on the spot, as they do when people renew normal car tax. And they will then let DVLA know, but I have no idea how long that would take.

For buying a normal tax disc, you need to 'prove' that the car has a valid MOT (if it needs one) and that it is insured. So the paperwork for that would be what you'd need.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport