DECT phone batteries

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
One of our Panasonic DECT phones has died - it needs replacement batteries
The existing batteries are 2 off 1.2v Ni-MH 550mAh SHORT - code HHR-55AAAB
Will https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-micro-Battery-HHR-55AAAB-1000mAh/dp/B00SXAS8XU be compatible or will 1000mAh be too much to charge ?

Comments

• Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yes they are compatible, 1000mAh is the storage capacity so they will last longer off the charger base.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 4:36PM
    Options
    Unless you make very long landline calls, I suggest that you buy 2 x AAA rechargeable batteries from Poundland for £1.

They are lower in capacity, 350 mAh I think, and might not take as many recharges but they should be fine for a DECT phone that is usually kept on the charging base.
  • billywhizz
    billywhizz Posts: 263 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought these for my Panasonics and they work fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00SHIVTS4/ref=pe_385721_133581491_TE_item
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Ones I saw in Poundland were 600mAh (I bought some for speaker and work great)

If you want to save yourself the trip these 600mAh are £2.15

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191706371559

and these 750mAh are £2.95

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172252560198
    I have always avoided very cheap batteries in case they leak and destroy valuable electronic devices !!
    For the sake of a couple of quid - I prefer to buy safety
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    I can understand that,. chances are they will come from the very same factory, I would get the ones from the Poundshop because you can get redress in the UK. Better than Amazon or eBay. Although the eBay seller had 40000 sales with only one negative on batteries.

I have never had a rechargeable leak and I have used loads, not read battery university site but I would not be surprised if they don't leak acid, sure they can do other things but a shop like Poundland would not risk selling dodgy batteries.

It is your money and whatever makes you comfortable
    For safetys sake - I decided on some Energiser 800mAh ones at £8 for 4 - so have replaced both phones - they appear to be fine - thanks anyway
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    In a recent Which magazine, they reviewed both AA and AAA size rechargeable batteries. The top AAA size performers were:

Panasonic Eneloop (not the "Pro" version)
    Duracell recharge plus
    Energizer recharge power plus
    Energizer recharge extreme

The tests included measured capacity after dozens of cycles, some such as Morrisons and Maplin own brands didn't fare well.

There were no tests on pound shop batteries...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I have always avoided very cheap batteries in case they leak and destroy valuable electronic devices !!
    For the sake of a couple of quid - I prefer to buy safety

I tend to take that view too, but I've had Duracell leak in both the cycle lamp and the TV remote. I've just renewed the laptop battery though, and I forked out £97 for a pukka Samsung one rather than buy an arsonist from Amazon for £25
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It would be good to see Which to a like for like test on the Poundland batteries as well as the charging of the Dect phones.
    Testing batteries over a few cycles is incredibly time consuming, not to mention tedious. The problem with "shop brand" OEM batteries is that they can be manufactured by a number of different factories and may differ from one factory to another.

While the Which people tested a range of brands, 14 x AA and 14 x AAA, where do you draw the line? In the case of the Morrisons AA batteries, after 87 cycles they were down to 60% capacity and the test ran to 200 charge/discharge cycles... phew!

I have a Westmountain CBA computerised battery analyser (http://www.westmountainradio.com/cba.php), I have done a limited amount of battery checking, but life is too short to spend much time on anything as trivial as batteries for a cordless phone.

My most recent test was on a pair of Power Sonic 12V 4.5Ah batteries used in a hedge trimmer, they are 7 years old and measured 4.1Ah on a 450mA discharge (takes close to 10 hours)... not far off the specification of a new one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure