Fiat 500 v's Kia Picanto

Options

Comments

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2017 at 5:45PM
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    Fiats will be better built as Kia are budget cars...

I don't think so! When Fiat can offer a 7 year warranty, as Kia do, then you might have a point. Kias are budget cars because car workers in South Korea aren't paid very much.

According to the Warranty Direct index of reliability the Kia Picanto comes out at 19 and the Fiat 500 at 70 (out of a hundred).
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    I don't think so! When Fiat can offer a 7 year warranty, as Kia do, then you might have a point. Kias are budget cars because car workers in South Korea aren't paid very much.

According to the Warranty Direct index of reliability the Kia Picanto comes out at 19 and the Fiat 500 at 70 (out of a hundred).

I myself prefer to go on experience. I've owned 16 Fiats since 1978 and have only really had a reliability issue with one. I currently own a MK2 Punto HGT which I bought new in 2000 so it's now 17 years old. It's done 85k and still has the original clutch in it. All the electrics work (including the supposedly 'dodgy' 'city' steering function. It dosn't rattle or creak in fact most people who takes a ride in her say that she's more like a car half it's age. The only big expense has been a cam belt change.

I also own a 65 plate 500x (the SUV which, in my opinion, should be called something else because like the Mini Countryman, it's too big to be named after it's smaller iconic cousin) which is a really nice car to drive. Transmission and gear change is one of the most precise i've driven. My only negative comment is that they are tad pricey but most SUVs are for some reason. I know of at least one person in my circle of friends who has owned 2 500's and says that they will deffo be having another.

So going on my actual experience, I can highly recommend the marque without hesitation.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • mr_accountant
    mr_accountant Posts: 798 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 March 2017 at 3:24AM
    Options
    Hyundai/Kia will always be better built and reliable than a Fiat and European manufacturing in general

and talk about low wages, South Korea has a higher wage levels than Germany France and the United Kingdom so maybe it's Europe that's cheap labour.

Also most Hyundai Motor company cars are built outside South Korea thus the competitive pricing, although Hyundai is such a vast Cheabol that it benefits from economies of scale most car manufacturers are unable to match
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    iolanthe07 wrote: »

If you've driven both you'll know what I was getting at..... the 'feel' of it
  • iolanthe07
    Options
    South Korea has a higher wage levels than Germany France and the United Kingdom

I find that very surprising. Do you have a link?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd personally get another Kia if I was in the market. Nippy, economical (55 average for me) cheap to insure, easy to get in and out of (if aged)
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had the original Hyundai i10 which the Picanto is still based on for 6 years, you'll find plenty of 2nd hand ones around and they're reliable little cheap cars.

I swapped it for the the 2nd generation i10 when they came out (3 years ago) and it's a vastly different beast to the 1st gen one. Much more upmarket and there's a reason it's always in the mix (if not outright winning) for What Cars city car of the year award as was the original one.

Make sure you look at them too.
  • iolanthe07
    Options
    wymondham wrote: »
    If you've driven both you'll know what I was getting at..... the 'feel' of it

I have driven both and I accept that the Fiat has more street cred and is nicer to drive (though not the 'automatic' 'versions). I still think the Picanto offers better value for money, is better equipped pound for pound, has a much longer warranty and is an excellent choice for someone who needs a small automatic.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Fiat is small inside, wouldn't want to take more than one other person in one. Boot is small so you'll be using the back seats a lot
  • fallen_angel_69
    Options
    Thank you all for your help . It seems the picanto is the right way to go
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills