PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyers Vs Seller Balance of Power after exchange

Options
If you wrote a textbook on worst cases of buying a house I’m convinced ours would be up there.

We first offered and were accepted back in December 2017 - HORRAY!

Come January the process moved to an unexpected crawl as we waited weeks and weeks and weeks for the management pack to be created - this may have been an excuse but we waited.

When It all eventually arrived, we turned around paperwork - searches, management pack, fittings and contents, etc - in one night, ONE NIGHT. And expected an exchange date to follow not long later.

Further weeks passed before we decided to push for an exchange date and identified a preferred date with our solicitor. The response to this? That the seller wanted to put the sales process on hold with no indication of when we’d have an update. Couple of 000’s of pounds spent and just put on hold...!!

We chased for an update weekly. A week became 2 and then 3 and then 4 and then as the 6th week of waiting arrived we had news - the seller had decided to proceed with the sale - HORRAY, our patience had been rewarded!

Another week passed with no confirmation of an exchange date. We pushed again and made it clear we wouldn’t wait any longer. Finally - a date for exchange was established!! Late-April 2018.

We were happy to be flexible when the seller asked for a month between exchange and completion and have/had set a date for mid-May 2018.

2 weeks into exchange and with just a week until completion - BOOM - news that the seller wanted to withdraw from the sale AGAIN.

And that’s where we are up to - infuriated, confused, horrified, shocked, perplexed, and with no clear alternative other than to accept the relatively measly figure proposed to settle and cancel the purchase.

Our understanding is that if we, as a buyer, had pulled out after exchange, we would have lost our entire 10% exchange deposit AND further 000’s on the seller’s damages.

But if the seller pulls out after exchange - all we have a right to is our deposit returned (with the minimal interest) and conveyancing costs covered. No compensation, nothing for stress and anguish we’ve been put through, nothing compared to what the seller would receive if the shoe was on the other foot.

This just seems so unfair and to a pair of first time buyers we are at a total loss!!

Has anyone been through or know of anything like this? And if so, have any advice on what we should do?

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 May 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    Get onto your solicitor, once exchange has happened, there is no backing out that easily without penalty!
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    There was a very good thread about this situation a long time ago but I can't find it. I'm sure a more experienced member will be able to post a link (think the OP had a sheep avatar?? Were they called woolly or something similar?)

I seem to remember they got a very good settlement. Sounds like you might need to give your solicitor a kick up the backside.

Why do they want to pull out of the sale?
    What settlement figure has been offered?
    Where are they moving? Were they supposed to be buying another property?

Sorry to hear about your situation OP, must be so frustrating!
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There is a really good thread on here from a few years ago where this happened to someone. If you can find it have a read. They got a decent amount of compensation. That house is yours so press them for decent payout
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,449 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bass_9 wrote: »
    There was a very good thread about this situation a long time ago but I can't find it. I'm sure a more experienced member will be able to post a link (think the OP had a sheep avatar?? Were they called woolly or something similar?)

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1806123
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

I seem to remember they got a very good settlement.

Why do they want to pull out if the sale?
    What figure has been offered?

Sorry to hear about your situation OP, must be so frustrating!

Great minds think alike
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »

:T that's it. Must have thought they were called woolly because of the sheep avatar lol.

Diggingdude - agree! :beer:
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has your solicitor actually confirmed that exchange happened?
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did exchange actually happen?
    You should have received a confirmation from your solicitor confirming exchange has happened and the date of completion as that!!!8217;s set at the same time.
    Your post isn!!!8217;t clear on this as this is critical.
  • eddddy
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »

To save you reading the whole thread.... the outcome was mentioned in post #799

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=24724055&postcount=799

Ultimately, the seller agreed to pay the buyer over £30k in damages.
  • eddddy
    Options
    ACACACAC wrote: »
    2 weeks into exchange and with just a week until completion - BOOM - news that the seller wanted to withdraw from the sale AGAIN.

So you've exchanged contracts.

Is this just hot air, or do you think the seller really might try to back out?

If it does happen, you'll probably need the services of a property litigation solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure