Wanting to move from SSE standard plan

Options
Jmoo
Jmoo Posts: 340 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi

I'm looking to move away today from SSE's standard plan. I've only been in my new flat a few months though and my electricity consumption for the first bill has been quite high though and I know it's not necessarily a reflection of how much I'll be paying going forwards.

The issue is when I go to compare other energy companies they want my latest bill digits. Is this going to effect what it recommends? SSE won't issue me a new bill based on my most recent usage when I had all my heating properly sorted, so will I be disadvantaged trying to swap now?

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 March 2017 at 7:53PM
    Options
    Jmoo wrote: »
    The issue is when I go to compare other energy companies they want my latest bill digits. Is this going to effect what it recommends? SSE won't issue me a new bill based on my most recent usage when I had all my heating properly sorted, so will I be disadvantaged trying to swap now?

While you don't have last years energy usage, it's not always a good indication of what you'll use the following year as the weather can be completely different. You can start with the average for your type of property in your area & then adjust it up or down if you think you use more or less than the average.

It's a gamble for all of us. The tariff we're recommended is based on our guess of what we will use in the next year, which can change considerably if the weather is different or we decide to go on an economy drive and wear jumpers instead of turning on the heating.

You can definitely do better than your standard tariff.
  • Jmoo
    Jmoo Posts: 340 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Okay, so even if I had a high bill for my first quarter it wouldn't lock me into a high fixed rate tariff based on the readings if I moved to another provider now? I appreciate it might not necessarily select the right tariff but it wouldn't say lock me into paying more a month because of those readings?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Moving into a new property is always going to be a bit of a 'guesstimate' when it comes to assessing your annual consumption in kWHs/year. A good starting point is a request to your supplier for the Estimated Annual Consumption (EAC) for your electricity. The Data Collectors will have this information on file for your property, and your supplier has access to it.

Choose a supplier like Iresa which has no exit fees; provide your supplier with actual meter readings once a month, and monitor your consumption closely. Switch if you need to.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jmoo wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking to move away today from SSE's standard plan. I've only been in my new flat a few months though and my electricity consumption for the first bill has been quite high though and I know it's not necessarily a reflection of how much I'll be paying going forwards.

Conuslt a comparison site to find the best deal for you

You get the most accurate results by inputting an accurate anticipated annual consumption for the next 12 months.

If you don't know what this is, the supplier is unable to tell you, and you cannot guess reasonably accurately, then the comparison site will assist you

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure