Have people stopped buying?

Options
I've been on Ebay for 15 years now and have steadily bought and sold items.

However in the last 12 months or so I have found that nothing I am selling is shifting. My items are getting some views and some people are even 'watching' them but nobody is buying. I've had the same stuff on there for months now.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• This_Year
    This_Year Posts: 1,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    My sales are lower and have been for a few weeks. Today I packed 20 widgets - sold since Friday. Normally I would be packing 50/60 a day. :(
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've become so disillusioned by Ebay - pages of tat that claim to be in the UK but aren't. Pages of the same widget listed with one word (or even one letter) changed.

Secondhand junk being sold for prices either more, the same or just a smidgeon below brand new prices.

Stuff listed in the wrong categories so you can't really eliminate stuff you aren't interested in.

Sellers that can't be bothered to give full/proper measurements, etc., etc. etc.

Poor photographs.

I invariably find anything new that I want at lower prices elsewhere.
  • pioneer31
    pioneer31 Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Prices are also something I have noticed as well since the start.

I'm sure greed has kicked in over the last few years and plenty of sellers are now asking silly prices for second hand gear. Some seem willing to sit and wait forever too, until some unsuspecting sucker comes along.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pioneer31 wrote: »
    However in the last 12 months or so I have found that nothing I am selling is shifting. My items are getting some views and some people are even 'watching' them but nobody is buying. I've had the same stuff on there for months now.

Then your prices are too high. Pretty much anything sells if the price is right. Maybe the time has come to stop bothering with ebay if you aren't making adequate profit on sales?
  • pioneer31
    pioneer31 Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My prices may be too high but I tend to pitch them as low as the lowest of the competition. I'm not selling for profit, merely just offloading bits of stuff.

If I drop the price too low, I'll end up giving it away (thanks to high postage costs), at which point I may as well take it to the charity shop
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ebay is dead.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    Options
    Don't look at eBay at all now. I found things were either rubbish or too expensive. Also postage costs.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    Since eBay make it uneconomical and downright difficult for me to sell there, I no longer buy there. I don't care how cheap it is on eBay, I will not buy it there. I will either find it elsewhere and pay more, if needed, or I will buy direct if the seller has a website.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    All comes down to the price and the search experience and for me ebay is lacking on both fronts.

Today searched for an item, plenty of Chinese sellers with 2week+ delivery times listed at £4.25. Select UK only and you get the same sellers showing 8 day delivery instead of 14, i get the feeling its still going to be 2weeks+ and a couple of £ premium.

First genuine UK seller with a 3 day estimate delivery wants £13.99 + £2.75 postage for the same item. To me that's excessive and i doubt they will sell many, good luck to them selling 50 they show in stock.

Especially when i can get it on prime next day for £11.99.

And whats with the new and refurbished??? Anyone fancy some refurbished Sellotape?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    usefulmale wrote: »
    Since eBay make it uneconomical and downright difficult for me to sell there, I no longer buy there. I don't care how cheap it is on eBay, I will not buy it there. I will either find it elsewhere and pay more, if needed, or I will buy direct if the seller has a website.
    Do you only buy from places where you can sell from?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure