Beware of Sky Movies offer

Options
I received an email on Saturday offering me a free month of Sky movies because I was Diamond customer. Rang and accepted the offer and was told I would receive an email 10 days before offer expired and I could either cancel at no cost or receive movies for 6 months at £5 a month. Later I checked my account online and found my next bill payable on 24th Jan had gone up £8.50 !
Contacted Sky on Facebook Messenger and firstly was asked to send a photograph of the email, which I strongly objected to and then was told after a good 40 mins it was a glitch and the system had wrongly put me on the another deal. Service rep said it would be sorted out by Tuesday and assured me the person I had first spoken to had not deliberately put me on a new contract.

I am sceptical and would like to know if anyone else had ever had a similar problem. It smells of sharp practice.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You tied asking on the Sky forums as well as here ?

Would open your chances to getting a reply.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bobstheboy wrote: »
    I received an email on Saturday offering me a free month of Sky movies because I was Diamond customer. Rang and accepted the offer and was told I would receive an email 10 days before offer expired and I could either cancel at no cost or receive movies for 6 months at £5 a month. Later I checked my account online and found my next bill payable on 24th Jan had gone up £8.50 !
    Contacted Sky on Facebook Messenger and firstly was asked to send a photograph of the email, which I strongly objected to and then was told after a good 40 mins it was a glitch and the system had wrongly put me on the another deal. Service rep said it would be sorted out by Tuesday and assured me the person I had first spoken to had not deliberately put me on a new contract.

I am sceptical and would like to know if anyone else had ever had a similar problem. It smells of sharp practice.

Sky you pay everything for in advance.
    So what has probably happened is, you've been given a trial but you get billed a month in advance so the charge is actually for (say, Feb 20th- March 19th) or whatever and your trial runs from 20th Jan to 19th Feb. But if your billing date is in the middle of this date you get a pro-rata charge instead to round it up to the next billing period and then after that it all falls right.

Sky's billing always looks really confusing if you change product halfway through a billing period.
  • bobstheboy
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Sky you pay everything for in advance.
    So what has probably happened is, you've been given a trial but you get billed a month in advance so the charge is actually for (say, Feb 20th- March 19th) or whatever and your trial runs from 20th Jan to 19th Feb. But if your billing date is in the middle of this date you get a pro-rata charge instead to round it up to the next billing period and then after that it all falls right.

Sky's billing always looks really confusing if you change product halfway through a billing period.

There should be nothing to pay. It is a free one month trial, which can be cancelled 10 days before the payable months begin. I don't expect to pay in advance for a free trial !!!

Amazon do it all the time with Prime and as long as you are careful no money is paid.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I It smells of sharp practice.

No. It smells of an error.
  • bobstheboy
    Options
    No. It smells of an error.

I'm sure it is, but is costing me an additional £9.50 this month because my bill is due for payment on 24th and cannot be changed this late. I will get it repaid but they are quick to take your money.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There should be nothing to pay. It is a free one month trial, which can be cancelled 10 days before the payable months begin. I don't expect to pay in advance for a free trial !!!

Amazon do it all the time with Prime and as long as you are careful no money is paid.

Like I said, Sky work one month in advance and will assume, much like Amazon, that you want to continue with it, and at that point the "30 days in advance" thing starts up.

Anyway you said in the first post it was £8.50, now it's £9.50. Make up your mind, what does your Future Bill section say?
  • bobstheboy
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Like I said, Sky work one month in advance and will assume, much like Amazon, that you want to continue with it, and at that point the "30 days in advance" thing starts up.

Anyway you said in the first post it was £8.50, now it's £9.50. Make up your mind, what does your Future Bill section say?

Thanks for the"polite" reply, I have made up my mind, it is £9.50, naughty boy making a mistake. This is a money savings site so I thought I would save people hassle and money. For some having to pay an additional £9.50 not budgeted for would be hard.

Keep your smart Alec comments to yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure