Car insurance after claim

It's the time of year I love most sorting my elderly fathers insurance, he has two cars with two separate policies, no claim bonus on both, however he's had a 50/50 claim on one policy, not the one that's up for renewal.

I've tried to explain to my father that I will need to mention the claim, or his insurance might be invalid, but he insists that as its not on that car I don't need to tell them anything. So who is right, I assumed that its you've had a claim as a person, in any vehicle.

Thanks Wendy

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You need to inform both. The question is probably "have YOU or any namded driver had an accident or incident".
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    Your father is wrong.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,207 Forumite
    As above you need to declare the claim. "Have YOU had any accidents in the last 5 years..." the answer is clearly "yes". If they asked "Have you had any accidents IN THIS CAR" then you could answer "no", but that's not the question which the insurer will ask.

OTOH only the no claims bonus on the policy which actually incurred the claim will be affected - your dad will keep his no claims bonus on the policy that is up for renewal (s there are no claims on that policy). It may be this which is causing him confusion. But your NCD is a separate matter to the question of whether you've had any accidents.
  • He definitely needs to mention it. I know for the company I work for, the wording for the claims question is !!!8216;have any drivers on the policy had any claims within the past 5 years regardless of blame, or any other motor accidents, losses or incidents in the last 5 years, regardless of blame, even if there was no claim!!!8217;.

The above refers to an incident in any car, even if it is not the one that is being insured.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure