Home insurance nightmare

Options
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can offer any advice please.

We had an escape of water back in March (the freezing weekend) claim process was relatively easy at first but now they have offered an extremely low cash settlement for the amount of work that needs doing.
We are insured with Esure who have appointed cunning Lindsey to deal with the claim.

They have not offered their own contractors to do the work.

Their contractors they sent to strip out and dry out the house have left and disturbed our loft insulation, now I’ve heard some worrying things about health dangers this now poses as it has been ripped and left basically blowing where the landing ceiling originally was. It’s been going on for 3 months now and Cunningham Lindsey are just ignoring my corcerns and the claim in general.

Any advice?

Comments

• FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They have offered you a cash settlement (which would be after your excess is deducted). So have you told CL you don't accept this offer? Have you obtained quotes of what it'd cost to do the work and sent them to CL?
  • Hayley_
    Options
    Yes we have, which they’ve just ignored. They have now admitted to ignoring all my correspondence but the guys on the phone can’t approve anything and the managers are always busy.

CL are also not responding to Esure, the whole situation is just a nightmare
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to be more pro-active, if you want to achieve the outcome you desire i.e a home put back in same condition as it was before the water damage.

Insurance companies and their friendly loss adjusters will attempt to pay you as little as possible.

You need to project manage this yourself or employ your own Insurance loss assessor. Better to do this yourself, by making a list of everything that needs to be done. Then get 2 estimates for work that needs to be done and items that need to be replaced.

Then send all of the estimates to Esure Head of claims and advise them that if necessary you will issue a county court claim against them to ensure your house is repaired back to its pre loss condition. I think you will then see Esure work with you to make sure your claimis dealt with properly.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Hayley_
    Options
    Thank you, I!!!8217;ve taken your advice. Cunningham Lindsey are still ignoring me but Esure have seemed to sit up and listen after my information request inline with the new privacy laws. As you!!!8217;ve said and I have said to them numerous times I am not asking for more than it costs, I just want my house back to normal.

They have now moved us out due to the disturbed loft insulation being deemed unsafe. Still ignoring the fact that we have been left exposed for over 3 months.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Why is loft insulation unsafe; it is just inert stuff isn't it?
  • Hayley_
    Options
    According to HSE once disturbed glass fibres become airborne which means they can be inhaled, irritate skin and eyes. Exposure should be limited to 8 hours and protective equipment should be used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure